How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11360
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is 70 and has experienced severe stabbing pain in

This answer was rated:

My husband is 70 and has experienced severe stabbing pain in his right eye for a number of years intermittently. It has recently flared up after 7 years.
The pain in the past has been to the side of the head and the back of the eye. He has been treated for Trigeminal Neuoragia in various forms including the use of pain relief with accupuncture, and during his last bout he was precribed a drug which is the same drug used for epilepsy.
The pain is back with vengence but is more localised in the right eye. I am wondering if this could be something other than TN. I have recently read up on uveitis and see similarities. Can the pain with uvitis be as severe as the pain with TN. Can an optician diagnose this and is there any over the counter pain relief. My husband is allergic to asprin
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted, his pain is most likely related to his TN. But, yes, a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist would be able to easily rule out the presence of uveitis or other ocular condition.

Dr. Rick :

Usually with severe uveitis, the patient has severe photophobia (sensitivity to light), decreased vision in the affected eye, an aching/boring type of eye pain and, sometimes, if the pressure is high, nausea and vomiting.

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion it wouldn't hurt to have an eye doctor take a look at your husband just to be sure.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you