Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I would like to have a refractive lens exchange. I am

I would like to have a refractive lens exchange. I am retiring, have the money but need to find a doctor. The complicating factor is that I have worn glasses over contacts for a number of years such that my glasses are a -14D, and I wish the implanted lens to be of such strength to maintain that lens prescription. I do have incipient cataracts, but they give me no trouble at the present. Any suggestions?
Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Are you saying that, after cataract surgery, you want to be able to wear -14.00 diopter power glasses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes.

Ok.
That is a very unusual request but it just may be possible.
The limiting factor will be if there is an intraocular lens powerful enough to leave you that nearsighted post op.
The only way to know this would be to go to an ophthalmologists office and have the "biometry" -- where your eye is measured for cataract surgery -- and see if, given your ocular anatomy, any companies manufacture a intraocular lens powerful enough.
If they do....then, yes. It would be a simple thing to leave you that near sighted post cataract surgery.
Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do know that you can get lens of that power. From my research on the internet, they go up to 30+D for implants, but can be made higher if there is a request. And I guess that my real question is will a doctor do this? Would you do so for example? There is a website (eyescene) for those of us who are optical obsessives. The general feeling seems to be that no doctor would perform such an opeation on a healthy eye. In my case, I would sign any release required or undergo psychiatric evaluation if necessary. This really is something I want. Incidentally, I am not the only one who wants this. There is another group of people (GOC) who wear glasses over contacts as I do as a regular thing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm glad to hear that you have done your homework.
Yes. I am sure that there is a doctor in the USA who would do that for you. As a matter of fact, I bet Dr. Whitman would be happy to assist you:
http://www.keywhitman.com/safe_touch.aspx?gclid=CLGEn8DmwLMCFYs7MgodwwQAxw
I am a retina surgeon so I no longer do elective cataract surgery but, that being said, I do not see a problem with what you are asking.
I wish you the best of luck and, truly, I believe you will find a US MD to help.
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.