Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

A week ago i noticed i have a shadow over my left eye and

minor pain. I went to...
A week ago i noticed i have a shadow over my left eye and minor pain. I went to the eye doctor on wednesday and they dilated my eyes and he informed me that it looks like an inflammation and that he would like for me see see a retina specialist. I have an appointment for that specialist on tuesday. I have been very worried. Have anyone experienced this or know what it might be.
11/4/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.

Dr. Rick :

What do you mean that you noticed a shadow over your left eye? Do you mean that you vision is blocked, as if a curtain or veil was over your vision?

Dr. Rick :

Have you noticed any flashes of light or spots/bugs in your vision at all?

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

has this shadow gotten larger at all?

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.
Dr. Rick : What do you mean that you noticed a shadow over your left eye? Do you mean that you vision is blocked, as if a curtain or veil was over your vision?
Dr. Rick : Have you noticed any flashes of light or spots/bugs in your vision at all?
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
Dr. Rick : has this shadow gotten larger at all?
Was the doctor who diagnosed this issue and said you should see a retina specialist an optometrist or an ophthalmologist (eye MD)?
I look forward to your response so that we can figure out what is going on...

More like a cloudy blurry vision it hasnt gottent worst and it feels irritated. i have notice a bit of flashes. When my eye was dilated the doctor didnt see any detachment.

The doctor was an ophthalmologist

You symptoms are very suggestive of a retinal detachment. Sometimes it is not easy for a doctor to notice a early detachment that is in the periphery of your retina.
I'm glad that you were examined by an ophthalmologist. It is possible that you have some swelling in the center of your retina, in an area called the macula.
Retina specialists have a lot of experience with vision problems like you are experiencing and I'm sure when you leave the office on Tuesday you will know what is going on. At this point I don't think a long list of possible causes will be very useful since with an examination your retina doctor will be able to quickly narrow down the possible explanations for the vision changes you are having.
Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick

Is a retinal detachment serious?

Untreated a retinal detachment leads to total blindness.
That being said, treating retinal detachments is one of the things I do every week so there is no need for you to despair at this moment. It sounds like you have been getting very good care and will be in the hands of an expert on Tuesday.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I was just thinking about you and wondering what the retina specialist found yesterday. I hope you are doing better.
Hi Dr. Rick thank you so much for following up that is very nice of you.
The retina specialist found inflammation and swelling in my eye he prescribed Pred Forte one drop 4 times a day for 2 weeks and the following week 2 times a day. But when i went to Walgreens they gave me generic (prednisolone). He didnt see a retina detachment thank god.
I have a follow up with him in 3 weeks.
How long do you think i will see results?

I have a follow up with him in 3 weeks.

I'm glad to hear that there is no detachment.
The generic will be just fine. Make sure that when you put the drop in you gently close your eye and keep it closed for 3 to 5 minutes. This helps the medicine to "soak in" and not be pumped out your lacrimal system into your nose.
How long it takes until you see results depends on how heavy the inflammation is and what exactly is causing it. I would expect the doctor to be able to notice improvement on your next visit but it may take you a bit longer so be able to actually notice any difference. Initially it is good enough to see that things are not getting any worse -- which means things are better.... :) Does this make sense to you?
I hope you heal up quickly. Have a good evening and let me know if there is every anything else I can do to assist you.
thanx for your advice i sure hope this cloudy vision clears up fast.
My pleasure. It sounds like you are on the right path and things should start getting better at this point.
Take care and have a good day.
one more question sorry. Can i go to the gym? or should i wait for it to clear?
That is a very good question. You should be OK to go to the gym but I would tone down your workout a bit for the next week or two.
Also, no boxing at all :)

Hi Dr. Rick

Sorry to bother with the same thing. I still havent seen any improvement i have been using the drops since tuesday.

I know i am getting inpatient. Does it take that long to for the cloudy vision to clear?

No bother.
Give time....depending on how much inflammation you have it may take weeks for you to see an improvement in your vision.
Keep using the drops and let's hope the Chicago Bears loose today :)
thank you... and thhe bears lost . lol :-)
I know. Very enjoyable game :-)
Have a good week.

Hi Dr. Rick..

I hope you are having a good week.

I just wanted to let you know that i feel like my eyesight is changing before a used to feel a dark shadow over my eye but now i feel like my glasses are dirty. Can this mean that my vision is slowly recovering?

That sounds like an improvement to me. Keep up the good work :)
have you had patients recover their vision quickly?
That depends on exactly what is going on, how much the retina is affected etc.
From what you have posted it seems that you are in good hands and that your eye is getting better. Keep using the drops and be patient :-)

Sorry to be so impatient sometimes it gets so aggravating. Thank you so much for all your advice.

Don't give it a second thought....I'm here to help you :-)
Take care

Hi Dr. RIck,

I hope u are having a good weekend.

Quick question on wednesday i go down to 2 drops per day what will happen now?

My wife and I are visiting our middle daughter and watching the Packers try to beat the Lions.....It doesn't get any better than that :-)
Hope your eye is doing better. Keep up with the drops.

Thats good have fun!!

I still cant see a big difference. Starting wednesday i go down to 2 drops per day. What can i expect after that?

That is an excellent question....and it all depends on what is going on.....
If you can upload a copy of the ophthalmologists clinical note from your upcoming visit and, if possible, you prior visits, I would be more than happy to review them and help you understand a bit better what is going on.
The Packer's won....but it was a close thing....

Thank you i will try to get them. From your previous experience with patients have u seen quick recovery from the inflammation?

Like I said....it all depends on the cause of the inflammation, what structures are involved, how dense the cell/flair is and how it responds to therapy.
I should be able to give you more specifics after reading your ophthalmologists notes.
Have a good week.

Hi Dr. Rick, i just wanted to let you know that today i went to get my blood test results(the retina specialist wanted me to do a couple of tests) they are came back good. My doctor sent me to get a second opinion to an ophthalmologist who saw me today at 4pm and he dilated my eyes and took pics of my eye and he said that the drops seem to be working because he doesnt see inflammation and to just be patient for the blurriness to go away.

Exactly what u said give it time. Thanx for your advice and patience.

Glad to hear the good news :-)
Hopefully things will start to clear up soon.

Hi Dr. Rick, i hope you had a nice thanksgiving...

Quick questions can i take a immune booster vitamin that i got from GNC while on the drops.

BTW i have been using the eye drops twice a day even thought things arent getting worst i still have the blur

Thank you. The entire family got together at my sisterinlaw's house, including my oldest daughter who is due to give birth to our first Grandchild any day now :)
I hope you had a good Turkey day as well.
To answer your question: Yes, feel free to take the immune booster vitamin from GNC. I will not interfere with the drops.
Have a good evening.
Go Pack Go!

I am glad you had a nice day :-)

My day was pretty good. Thank you for answering.

I hope the packs win!!

Me too!

Hi Dr. Rick:

Sorry to bother with the same question/problem.

My eye is still blurry and i am starting to panic. I feel like am starting to have anxiety. When i went to get the second opinion the ophtamologist informed me once i am off the drops he was very confident that the eye would go back to how it was. Is this true?

No need to panic. These things take time.
Without examining your eye and knowing your exact history it is impossible for me to say that your eye will go back to the way it was before.
That being said, personally I would never tell a patient that it would go back to normal if I wasn't really sure it would. In that light, if this ophthalmologist told you your vision will go back to normal then you should believe it.
Just remember: If you feel you are starting to panic, contact me -- that is why I'm here :-)
thank you so much for your advice and support. The retina specialist had also said the it should go back or very close to what it was. My next appt with the specialist is next tuesday.
I look forward to hearing what the retina doc has to say.....
Hi Dr. Rick
i feel my eye is very dry is there anything i can do or should i just wait until i see the specialist?
Use artificial tears 4 to 6x/day. That should help.
hi Dr. Rick are u located in nyc?
I trained in NYC many years ago but now I live near the Canadian Border....
ok thanx too far for me lol.
wish me luck tomorrow i am seeing the retina specialist.
Luck :-)
let me know how it goes....
Hi Dr. Rick
I went to the retina specialist for a followup and he informed me that the inflammation is gone and that i have no active cells. He also informed mr that i have multifocal choroidits. and that i have a small scar close to the cemter of the eye ( a lil confused). He told me to use the drops once a day for a week and ro discontinue. He also said the blurriness shpyld go away what do u think?
makes perfect sense to me.
The place he is talking about is called your macula. It is the part of your retina that "runs" the center of your vision/eye. I am glad that this area did not become scarred.
If the retina doc said you will be OK then I would believe him. In my opinion all retina doctors are wonderful, upstanding, honest and in many cases very handsome people (of course, I might be a bit biased lol!)
Glad to hear the good news. Now you can relax and have a Happy and Healthy Holiday season.
thank you so much for all ur help and advice.
should i expect the blurriness to go away soon.
I would have to say that if your retina doc said the blurriness will go away soon then you expect it to be so (see above data on reliability of retina doctors....)
is multifocal choroiditis serious, am very worried
It can be very serious. I have treated a large number of patients with this condition over the years.
In your case, however, you have responded well to fairly simple therapy and have no issues with your macula so I'd not worry about it at this point.

Ok thank you soo much. I was trying to look online for information but the bit of info i found seems scary.

Mr. Google can be a bit scary but you are doing very well.
For this condition you should probably stay in touch with the retina specialist....
Don't forget that pressing the excellent feedback button is very fun!
Hi Dr. Rick
i have been so worried ever since the doc diagnosed me with that. do u think i will be ok to wait till jan 15 till i see the retina specialist? i am afraid that my eye will go back. :-( or getting it in my other eye

Hi Dr. Rick,

Did you receive my question?

Hi.
I have opted out as this thread has been going on for over a month and you have only given me positive feedback once, even though many, many different questions have been answered.
I am more then happy to continue to assist you but, as I'm sure you can understand, there is a limit to how far one accept can be stretched. :(
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I am so sorry for that. I just rated u excellant service. Thank you for all your advice and answers.
Thank you for that evaluation :)
I have treated many patients with varying degrees of multifocal choroiditis and, yes, it can be a serious condition.
That being said, you have responded very well to a very "mild" treatment. A retina doc is the best person to be treating you so you are in good hands.
Without a change in your vision, increased symptoms etc, there is no reason to that you need to be evaluated before Jan 15.
Can you other eye be affected? Yes. Is there anything you, yourself, can do to impact if it will be or not? No.
thanx i have been driving myself crazy with this. I feel like i am getting anxiety attacks :-(
I can understand that :)
You should sit down and watch the Green Bay Packers beat the Lyons....that always makes me feel better; maybe it will work for you too :)
Sometime when i am laying down and get up i feel like the vision in my left eye goes dark for like 2 seconds can this be stress
Hard to tell....it could be.
Next time it happens, close the other eye and see if you can see at all and how long it lasts.
hi Dr. Rick i hope all is well.
I went back to tge retina specialist on tueday because i was suffeeing from anxiety thinking that my left eye had gotten bad and the right eye was getting bad. He told me i didnt have any inflammtion and to discontine the drops and that the right was beautiful nothing to worry bout.
was wondering what are the signs of a flare up?
That is excellent news!
The primary sign will be a change in your vision. You might also notice that you become a bit photophobic (bright light hurts). Also, your eye may become a bit red.
Have a healthy and happy holiday season.
Take care.
the only bad thing is that the vision in my left eye is still hazy but i guess i have to be patient.
You know what they say: Patience is a virtue :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD