Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I wanted to ask a separate question so you'd be compensated

Hello again, I wanted to ask a separate question so you'd be compensated for it. On my last preop exam yesterday, the doctor said my cataract wasn't particularly dense (as the other doctor had said), but white. He also noted to his assistant, "blue dye" - does that make a difference in my procedure? You're so kind and I'm confident with your opinion, thank you!
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is not really a "standard" grading of a cataract. When we talk about cataracts, ophthalmologists grade them 1 through 4 and their location, such as anterior subcapsular, posterior subcapsular etc.

Customer:

I'm sure he rattled off all those details and I didn't follow. He said it was white, not dense as previously suggested, and mentioned "blue dye" - I just didn't know what that meant.

Dr. Rick :

What I believe the doctor was referring to when he spoke to the assistant is that he wants to use a special stain, that is a blue color, to highlight the anterior capsule of your cataract during surgery to make it easier to see when he does the anterior capsulotomy.

Customer:

OK. Nothing too unusual it seems then, I'm guessing because the lens is white the stain will help him see it.

Dr. Rick :

So, as you can see, this doesn't relate to your cataract, per se, but rather a small extra step he is going to take to make your cataract easier and safer

Dr. Rick :

That is correct.

Customer:

Thank you again!

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Good luck!

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick