Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Today my last pre op exam my eye doctor said my cataract

wasn't particularly dense, but was...
Today my last pre op exam my eye doctor said my cataract wasn't particularly dense, but was white. He said something about "blue dye" - to his assistant. I should've asked him, but what does that mean and is my procedure the same as what was previously explained? thank you
11/3/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : Many times, with very advanced cataracts, the cataract becomes white. However, I'm some cataracts that aren't advanced, the outer portion of the cataract can become opacified enough that it turns the front of the cataract white. Let me explain why this is important to know.
Doctor DanB : Normally the cataract is translucent enough that the shell that holds the cataract can be visualized against the backdrop of the red reflex of the retina. Proper visualization of this shell is important in being able to open it properly and safely to prevent complications during the surgery. If the cataract is white, for whatever reason, visualization of this shell is limited. Using a blue dye to stain the shell (aka capsule) can allow for better visualization of this shell. Does that make sense?
Customer:

yes, very much so. thank you. I'm a bit anxious already and this eased my mind. thank you. Do you perform these surgeries - do they go as smoothly as others?

Customer:

he did say my cornea looked perfect and I had a B scan yesterday that was good too

Doctor DanB : Yes, I do perform these and they usually do go smoothly, especially with the aid of this dye. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
Customer:

No, thank you so much. Appreciate your kindness.

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.