Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

CAN A PRESCRIPTION WRITTEN BY 2 EYE Drs, FOR THE SAME PT

CAN A PRESCRIPTION WRITTEN BY 2 EYE Drs, FOR THE SAME PT DIFFER TO SUCH AN EXTEND? FOR THE SAME CONDITION?
Rx 1. OD: +5.50 -0.50 170
OS: +5.00 -0.75 20
Rx 2. OD: +5.00 +0.50 65
OS: +4.50 +0.50 110
THANK YOU, ZME
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

One Rx, I would venture to guess, was written by an Optometrist and the other by an ophthalmologist. These doctors use different notation to write down eyeglass Rx's

Customer:

hi, both are ophthalmologists..

Dr. Rick :

Let's convert the first one to the same convention as the second. Using the magic of mathematics it changes to:

+5.00 + 0.50 x80; +4.25 +0.75 x110

Dr. Rick :

Weird...very few ophthalmologists use negative cylinder phoropters...... But, as you can see, they are really the same Rx.

Dr. Rick :

The small variance is within the amount expected on different refractions. Not significant at all.

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Rick :

Especially when using streak retinoscopy on a 4 year old child :-)

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I guess you have stepped away from your computer.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, surprising, good answer, i am happy with it,

as a by the way, would you know from the Rx what condition is being corrected? I thank you for your time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hyperopia with mild astigmatism.
I'd not have known from the Rx that she had strabismus, but putting all the data you have provided together, I would venture to guess that she has accommodative esotropia and that the glasses are working well :-)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)