Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had itching eyes since 2005. in 2007 i had a sinus

Customer Question
inflammation while smelling clorox. then...
i had itching eyes since 2005. in 2007 i had a sinus inflammation while smelling clorox. then, slowly allergies began to develop. i did not know at the time that the sinus inflammation of the nasal passages is an allergy.
then, in 2010 i did sinus surgery thinking it will stop the inflammation. but it did not help.
then, in 2010 i did an igE test and i was allergic to 14 items out of 15. then, it started getting worse every day. it is so bad that nowadays if i eat anything i have an allergic reaction in the form of inflammation of the nasal passages.
to my shock, for the past 2 weeks, i cannot eat anything. even if i eat clean organic raw broccoli, i have allergic reaction. is there something wrong with my gut?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
10/9/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you able to chat?
Doctor DanB : Have you tried taking daily oral antihistamines such as Claritin, Zyrtec, or Allegra? Have you tried any nasal steroids?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

i have tried it all.

Customer:

there is temperory relief from claritin, zyrtec and allegra.

Customer:

i am not able to sleep when inflammation takes place at nasal passages.

Doctor DanB : For how long did you take them consistently?
Customer:

I had it consistantly for 5 years.

Doctor DanB : And the nasal steroids?
Customer:

yes, i did nasal steroids too. i even had nasal surgery in 2010. But no use.

Customer:

but, it is unbearable now. i am not allergic to broccoli. but i had broccoli yesterday. immediately i had allergic reaction

Doctor DanB : Did you do the Claritin and nasal steroids at the same time?
Customer:

no. i did not do nasal steroids and claritin at the same time. zyrtec ans pseudofed works better for me. Claritin is little help.

Doctor DanB : Have you used Singulair?
Customer:

no, i have not used singulair

Doctor DanB : Some people have such consistent, severe allergies that they need to be on every allergy med in the armamentarium. You sound like you are one of those people. Let me explain...
Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB : I would recommend being on daily Zyrtec, plus daily Singulair (an alternative and complimentary, prescription allergy medication), in addition to daily, regular nasal steroids. Even then though, you may still require additional treatment.
Doctor DanB : If need be then you may need to do allergy injections. Some people need these regularly for a few years to help suppress the allergic response.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Customer:

I dont understand one thing. why do i have an allergic reation when i even eat things that i am not allergic too like brocollli. is there another underlying cause that all this is occuring. maybe my gut is not good? or parasites?

Doctor DanB : What kind of symptoms are you having when you eat broccoli?
Customer:

nasal inflammation as usual

Customer:

i never had any problems with brocilli until last 3 weeks.

Doctor DanB : But the nasal inflammation gets worse eating broccoli?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : It is possible to develop an allergy to a food, even one that you've eaten without any problems for years; in fact, this happens not uncommonly to people with significant allergies. I had the same problem with nuts and bananas.
Customer:

i am at a point where i cannot eat anything. i eat something once or twice a week

Customer:

if food enters my stomach, i am in troubel

Doctor DanB : I don't think this is a parasite. I would bet that you may have a sensitivity to gluten or another common food such as soy. Have you had specific skin allergy testing with an allergist?
Customer:

i did an igE test.

Customer:

that was in 2010

Customer:

it was not this bad then

Customer:

i was allergic to 14 items out 15

Doctor DanB : Thats a useful baseline blood test, but doesn't provide the specific and wide-based testing that skin allergy testing by an allergist does.
Customer:

oh ok.

Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
Customer:

no thanks

Doctor DanB : You bet. Good luck to you! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

thanks

Doctor DanB : Is there a reason why you rated poor service? What else can I help you with?
Customer:

Yes, i did not get an answer why could not put any food in my stomach without getting a reaction

Customer:

for the past 3 weeks, anything i eat caused a reaction.

Customer:

except for grapefruit

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately I can't say for certain because I can't examine you, but I think you very likely have a sensitivity to one of these basic food chemicals such as gluten or soy. They are very common in most foods and therefore can cause horrible GI symptoms such as what you are having. I've known many patients who unfortunately have these same problems, but when they get their intolerance identified, they end up being able to eat more normally again.
Customer:

yes. i have candida accordign to the ige test.

Customer:

that means no gluten.

Customer:

but only recently had things got this worse

Customer:

where i cannot eat anything.

Doctor DanB : Was this a blood IgG test for candida?
Customer:

if i eat chicken, i have problems

Customer:

no, it was a general test

Customer:

it had 15 items.

Customer:

i was allergic to mold, trees, nuts, dairy, candida, dogs, cats, pollen, and others

Customer:

I am allergic to the following:
Oak
Elm
Bermuda
Fescue
Ragweed
E.Plantain
Penicillium
Aspergillus
Candida
Alternaria
House Dust
Mite
Car
Dog
egg, milk, wheat, corn, peanut

Doctor DanB : I see. By getting these specific skin tests you can determine whether you have a sensitivity to gluten or soy which is very likely ti be causing your problems. If that is unsuccessful, I would recommend seeing a GI doctor to have some scopes done of your GI tract.
Customer:

I am allergic to the following:
Oak
Elm
Bermuda
Fescue
Ragweed
E.Plantain
Penicillium
Aspergillus
Candida
Alternaria
House Dust
Mite
Car
Dog
egg, milk, wheat, corn, peanut

Doctor DanB : The last 5 items are nearly universal in most foods, which might explain some of your symptoms.
Customer:

are you saying the contents in the last 5 items are in all foods?

Doctor DanB : Not all, but very, very many. People who are allergic to wheat also often times have a gluten sensitivity.
Customer:

ok

Doctor DanB : Does that all make sense?
Customer:

so, you think i should see a GI specialist?

Doctor DanB : I would, yes, if the allergist is not able to shed any more light on this.
Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

i think i will go to a GI specialist

Doctor DanB : You bet. Good luck to you. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied. 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.