Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I've known I have a cataract in my right eye and now have

one entering my field of...
I've known I have a cataract in my right eye and now have one entering my field of vision in my left eye. The surgeon said this AM that the right eye is very dense and thick which increases the risks of surgery and he's feeling that there are other retinal issues that cannot yet be seen because of the dense cataract. I had a B scan which did not show any abnormalities but he said he feels there is some sort of inflammatory condition - this really freaked me out - should I be even more anxious than I already am ??? This just increased my unease. Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

As a retina surgeon I am asked to give my opinion on possible retinal findings when a cataract is too dense to allow the back of the eye to be evaluated.

Dr. Rick :

I completely agree with doing the B scan and am glad that it did not show any retinal detachment, mass or significant abnormalities.

Dr. Rick :

What else can be done? Well, sometimes a fluorescein angiogram can be done even in the presence of a dense cataract and give some extra information about the health of your retina, especially an important area called the macula.

There are also instruments that can try to project an eye chart "around" the cataract and get some information about what your post cataract surgery might be...

Dr. Rick :

All of this being said, when everything is said and done, your post op vision will not be known for sure until....well.....post op removal of your dense cataract.

Dr. Rick :

From what you have posted it sounds like you are in the hands of an excellent, ethical eye surgeon.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

What are the increased cataract surgery risks? If there is a condition can it be treated? This cataract was initially dianosed in late 2008 and my vision was 20/20 -

Customer:

He also said it is a PCO cataract ?

Dr. Rick :

Sometimes, actually, a really dense cataract is easier to remove as it breaks into chunks with less cracking force.....

Can this possible uveitis be treated? Depends what it is from. But, at this point, it seems like it in not even known if it is there......so I'd not give it too much thought.

Dr. Rick :

PCO, or posterior subcapsular cataract, can make it more likely that the posterior capsule would tear. But your surgeon knows this and will take extra precautions to keep this from happening. If the capsule breaks? The surgeon will deal with it. In the vast majority of cases it is no big deal

Dr. Rick :

And since you will be under general anesthesia you don't have to worry about moving and causing any problems ;-)

Customer:

They said light sedation - not general anesthesia - is that a concern?

Dr. Rick :

Light sedation should work just fine....you will be in lala land and not even know what is going on.

But, if you are really worried, you can demand general anesthesia. That being said, I bet you will be OK with light sedation.

Customer:

This is all so scary - he sounded very concerned this AM - this was the first time I had seen this doctor at the clinic. But you seem like this is pretty routine so I'll try and stay calmer.

Dr. Rick :

After twenty plus years in this business I guess it is pretty routine for me, but I understand that this is your first time dealing with this stuff....and it is, after all, your eye :)

After talking to you these last few days, I really think you will be OK.

Take care and best of luck

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. And please let me know if the rating system gives you any troubles.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD