Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I will be having cataract surgery within the nexxt month. I

I will be having cataract...
I will be having cataract surgery within the nexxt month. I suffer from panic attacks. I'm pretty certain others have had cataract surgery who also suffer from anxiety issues but I nearly have an anxiety attack just thinking about the procedure. How will I be able to be still, not cause any problems, and safely have this procedure? Any tips you can offer would be great. Thank you.
10/7/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I can understand your concern and,while it is true that patients are usually awake during cataract surgery, the doctor does give you some sedation to make you relaxed. In the vast majority of patients who suffer from anxiety this sedation is enough to help them to relax. As a matter of fact, it is not unusual to fall asleep for a brief time.

Dr. Rick :

If you are still concerned that you will have difficulty staying still I'm sure your doctor would be willing to have the anesthesiologist put you fully asleep (general anesthesia) for your cataract surgery.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

doesn't general anesthesia require intubaton? I just don't want to be in a panic state for the entire procedure- I understand it usually a brief procedure but nonetheless, I am really not handling this well. I also have read that while there is usually no pain felt, don't you feel the pressure and movement of the instrujents? thanj you

General anesthesia requires intubation, but you have no memory of being intubated and, for cataract surgery, it would be very brief.
Some patients do report feelings of pressure and movement but not all.
I can see that you are really worried about this. If you were my patient I would recommend you have general anesthesia. This way there would be no worries....and the anesthesia is very safe.
Does that make sense?
As you know, it's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD