Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

One of my eyes is swollen and very painful. Sometimes the

Customer Question
vision gets blurry. Seems like...
One of my eyes is swollen and very painful. Sometimes the vision gets blurry. Seems like it has a lot of fluid too. I feel pressure in my temple as well. What could this be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
10/5/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Well It sounds like you have a couple of things going on. First is allergies, second dry eyes and third blepharitis.

It sounds like you are suffering from an anterior segment/tear film issue. Many times, for all sorts of reasons, the anterior surface of the eye starts to have difficulties. What can cause this? Well, there are a number of conditions but the most common are dry eyes, allergies and blepharitis....many times all three conditions act together to make you miserable. In order to solve your problem you need to address all of these issues at the same time.

When it comes to allergies it is almost impossible to pin down the offending agent(s) and, therefore, treatment needs to focus on controlling the symptoms. Dry eyes are very common and can be improved by a stepwise series of therapies. First, the use of natural tears 4-6+ times/day to augment your natural tear production, if this doesn’t work then you can try temporary punctal occlusion of the lower puncta, then, if needed, temporary occlusion of all 4 puncta then, if indicated, surgical ( non-reversible) closure of the puncta. The openings to your tear drainage system are called puncta and you have one opening on each lid, near your nose.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk. You may not be able to see this “gunk” yourself, unless it is really bad, but it shows up clearly on slit lamp examination.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Baby shampoo lid scrubs will also help to wash away allergens and stimulate tear production, thereby addressing all three of your issues. Remember, this is not an instant fix. While you are waiting for the lid scrubs to have affect you can use over the counter allergy pills such as Travist, dimetapp or Zyrtec.

Should your symptoms get worse, your vision become significantly affected or things just not get better in 3 weeks or so you should have a complete eye examination by your local ophthalmologist to look for other, less common, causes of your symptoms.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Just one eye ball being swollen is that a normal sign of allergies? Its painful and watery.. Your answer didnt really help me so far. Do you think its anything to seriously worry about? I have been researching, brain aneurysm? Is it a possibilty?
One of my eye balls would just swell because of allergies? I have been researching on the web and I have seen many articles of brain anyersums? Do you think it could be that? Its only one eye, its swollen, it hurts, its very watery and blurry at times..
Relist: Answer came too late.
Relist: Answer came too late.
many times the things I discussed above can affect just one. I know this doesn't seem to make sense but it happens all the time :)
I very, very, very much doubt, from what you have posted, that your symptoms are due to a brain aneurysm. I would not worry about this at all.
Try the above home therapy....I think you will start to notice some improvement after a few days.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you at no additional charge :-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD