Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My right ear hurts and my right side of my head has redness

on it and my chin...
My right ear hurts and my right side of my head has redness on it and my chin on the right side has some bumps that hurt. What can it be?
10/4/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Did you have any strange feelings in the affected area before you noticed the redness and bumps?

Customer:

why am I talking to an eye person since I asked about my ear?

Dr. Rick :

Not sure......there may not be any ear doctors online right now. I can send your question to the ENT thread if you would like...

Customer:

this is not what I expected. I thought I would be talking to a general doctor. I do not know what to do. I have pain in my ear adn bumps on my head adn chin that hurt

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I can send your question to the general doctors......or I can help you. I'm a doctor too :-)

It's up to you.......

Sorry about the mixup...

Dr. Rick :

was there any different feelings in the area before you noticed anything?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

The most likely reason for your outbreak is shingles. This is a reactivation of the virus that caused chicken pox when you were a child.

Customer:

My ear started hurting two days ago and yesterday I notices the same side of the ear now my scalp is red adn lat night my chin has bumps

Customer:

so what do I do?

Dr. Rick :

There is no cure for this problem but things can be done to try and shorten the length of the outbreak.

Customer:

what?

Dr. Rick :

If it has been less than 3 days since things started your doctor can give you medication such as famciclovir to reduce the pain and duration of your outbreak.

Dr. Rick :

At home you can use medications such as tylenol and motrin to decrease the pain and inflammation.

If you are having a lot of pain ointments such as benzocaine can be put on the lesions and helps a lot. You can get this without an Rx.

Customer:

I live way out in the country so I do not have access to a doctor

Dr. Rick :

There is unlikely to be anything you have around the house that will help.

The antiviral medication is not absolutely necessary; your body will clear things up in few weeks...the medication just helps to speed this process up....that is, if it is started within 3 days of the outbreak

Dr. Rick :

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Rick :

If your eye becomes involved you really need to be examined by an ophthalmologist as shingles can easily cause serious eye damage if not evaluated and treated if necessary.

Customer:

ok thanks I hope you are correct in your diagnosis. It sounds like it might be shingles I have never had them so but I have a friend who has them all the time. Can this be brought on by eating too much sugar?

Dr. Rick :

No. You can eat as much sugar as you want without bringing on this condition.

Customer:

OK thanks for your help.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives and Excellent service is my goal. Your positive feedback is how we are compensated. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

I will try

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Sounds like a good plan. Take care and have a wonderful day.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD