Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been getting some vitreous scab-like material in the

lower right corner of my...
I have been getting some vitreous scab-like material in the lower right corner of my eye every couple of weeks for about a year now. The material seems to grow out of the conjunctiva - it appears, bothers me fore a couple of days, then disappears. Recently I went to an ophthalmologist, concerned that it was ocular herpes because I do get cold sores. He seemed very convinced that it was not, the material was from a cyst and he offered to lance the cyst. Afterward, the material became bloody and has stayed in my eye, five days after the initial procedure. The doctor says that the cyst just filled up again but this doesn't seem right to me. Are there other possible causes?
10/3/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Pearl.com

I do agree that you must have had a conjunctival retention cyst ( recurrent sac filled with fluid in the conjunctiva which is either of unknown cause or following trauma/allergy). It is self resolving and seldom requires any treatment. For cosmetic purposes it can be removed too. It is likely that after the procedure the cyst is filled again with blood clot. Depending on the size of the bleed it may take 1-2 weeks to completely disappear. You can continue with the prescribed eye drops( if antibiotic eye drops have been given) for a week.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist