Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I woke this morning and the bottom of my right eye felt

pretty sore. It's been...
I woke this morning and the bottom of my right eye felt pretty sore. It's been consistently sore all day.
10/2/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Is there any redness, swelling of the lid or eyeball, grittiness or foreign-body sensation, itching, burning, tearing, discharge, light-sensitivity or changes in vision?
It's puffy below the eye but my eye isn't red. No other symptoms experienced
Is the puffy eyelid swollen as if there were some fluid in it (boggy feeling), or is it a thicker, more dense swelling? Does the eyelid skin itch? Is there a focal part to the swelling, like a bump?
Doesn't itch too much and more on the denser side. Seems to be a focal point to the soreness
While its difficult to say definitively what this is, not being able to examine you, it sounds as though this may be the early onset of a stye. Let me elaborate...
A stye is a blocked oil gland in the eyelid that causes a swollen and sometimes focal, tender bump on the eyelid.  When the opening of the gland is obstructed the oil spills out into the inside tissues of the eyelid which incites an immune reaction, causing the swelling, redness and tenderness, but these only rarely become secondarily infected and therefore usually don't respond to antibiotics.  The definitive treatment for these is to use intensive hot compresses. It should be as hot as you can tolerate without burning your skin, massaging the eyelids while they are on there. This should be done 4x/day and doing this daily, it can take up to 3 weeks of this intensive regimen for them to resolve, but most will resolve within this time.  The ones that don't resolve after this need to be opened in a minor office procedure by your ophthalmologist.  But unfortunately OTC medicines that say they treat styes are essentially ineffective and don't treat the root cause of the stye, which is the blocked oil gland that usually will resolve with the heat
Does this make sense?  Does this information help address your concerns? Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?
Awesome thank you very much doctor
My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  Please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  If you feel like your concerns are not resolved or you have a problem or issue with anything I have said or haven’t said, please don’t issue a negative feedback rating—My goal is your satisfaction and I would rather work together to solve your concerns, until you are satisfied, than have you leave our encounter unhappy and unsatisfied.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.