Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Today at work in a hospital, urine splashed in my face when

emptying a bedside commode....
Today at work in a hospital, urine splashed in my face when emptying a bedside commode. I am unsure whether the urine splashed in my eye, but it did splash around the eye area. I rinsed with water as soon as I could but not for as long as I would have liked (only for a minute or two). I was unable to shower until a few hours later. I have filed an incident report but no one has recommended any other actions to be taken. I am concerned about my risk of exposure to HCV and HIV if there may have been blood present in the urine and whether I should seek medical attention.
9/16/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : At this point, even having only flushed for a couple of minutes, you've already done the most you can do to help prevent infections. I think the odds that you contract one of these infectious diseases is very remote, although I've had similar exposures to this and I know how anxiety provoking this episode is for you. I would just recommend testing the patient (obviously) for these diseases and considering starting prophylaxis if there is a positive sample (though, again, I think the odds of transmission are extremely low). Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks for your answer! As I mentioned, I did file the incident report, however my unit manager is not back at work until Monday. The charge nurse seemed like she didn't think it was a major issue and no one mentioned a doctor's visit may be in order. The Occ Health office is also closed until Monday and I was unsure if there was any need to attend an urgent care clinic before Monday morning.

Doctor DanB : No, I don't think you would gain anything by visiting an Urgent Care clinic between now and then, unfortunately. Just a weekend full of anxious waiting :(
Customer:

I guessed as much. No one mentioned testing the source for infections, is this something I should follow up with?

Doctor DanB : Yes, I absolutely would press for that from occupational health, and I wound do so ASAP if there's any chance of impending patient discharge.
Customer:

Good to know, thank you. ***** will call the nursing house supervisor on duty to find out what should happen next. Thank you for taking the time to chat, I appreciate it!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Do you have any other questions?
Customer:

Not at this time. Thank you, ***** ***** good evening!

Doctor DanB : You too. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.