Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My 14 yr old son has had redness in his left eye (off and

Hi!
My 14 yr old son has had redness in his left eye (off and on) for weeks. He's not having any discharge, irritation or pain-it is just red. His vision isn't blurred. His other eye looks fine--no problem at all. Yesterday I was doing a lot of dusting--is it possible that dust got into that eye? Could this be pinkeye?
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. If it has been weeks and he has no irritation then this is very very likely something called episcleritis.
Customer:

what is the treatment for episcleritis?

Doctor DanB : Fr most people, episcleritis goes away on its own but sometimes requires a low concentration steroid.
Customer:

Can episcleritis be localized to the lower portion of the sclera? the upper portion of his eye is no where near as red as his lower half.

Doctor DanB : Absolutely. I would recommend seeing the ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis and get the prescription.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?
Customer:

is it as contageous as conjuntivitis?

Doctor DanB : Not contagious at all.
Customer:

when there was a pinkeye outbreak at my university, i had to shut down the library for an hour while my staff gloved up and wiped EVERYTHING down with alcohol. Do I need to take similar measures at home?

Doctor DanB : No. Episcleritis isn't contagious
Customer:

excellent. Thanks Dr. Dan B!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing positive feedback; any bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!