Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eye sclera is greyish color. can anything be done to

whiten this area of the...
my eye sclera is greyish color. can anything be done to whiten this area of the eye. my age if 62.
9/9/2012
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
pippistrellodaqua :

I am happy to assist you tonight.

pippistrellodaqua :

Does your eye look something like this?

pippistrellodaqua :

A gray or brown tint to the sclera is called primary ocular melanosis and is a normal pigment variation.

pippistrellodaqua :

Welcome to the chat.

Customer:

does age have anything to do with it? my sclera use to be much whiter and clearer.

pippistrellodaqua :

Yes, it often does appear more pronounced as we mature through life.

pippistrellodaqua :

It is often, but not always, associated with darker pigmented skin.

pippistrellodaqua :

There is a mostly clear structure that surrounds the sclera called the conjunctiva.

pippistrellodaqua :

Often times the health of the conjunctiva can be improved by using artificial tears such as Systane or Blink, which can be obtained over-the-counter.

pippistrellodaqua :

Though this will not do anything for the gray spots or melanosis, it can often help the eyes to look whiter.

pippistrellodaqua :

There is one procedure I know of to remove this variation of pigment or melanosis. Only one surgeon in the US performs this surgery and the surgery is not approved by the FDA. I have not seen any patients who have had this surgery so I cannot comment on it from experience, but it is an interesting idea.

pippistrellodaqua :

http://www.whitereyes.com/

pippistrellodaqua :

Here is a link to his procedure.

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you note any itch or redness to your eyes or is it just the gray appearance that is the problem?

Customer:

i don't seem to have a variation or spots of grey. the complete sclera seems to be grayish in color. they don't itch, occasionally they may become red, but that's not the norm for me.

pippistrellodaqua :

An entirely gray sclera may be due to scleral thinning. Sometimes it may even take on a blue tint.

pippistrellodaqua :

This is an exaggerated example, but here is a thin sclera picture.

pippistrellodaqua :

A thin sclera can be a sign of connective tissue problems and even osteoporosis.

Customer:

the grayish dull color is not health related? sign of some health issues?

pippistrellodaqua :

Do you have any concerns with osteoporosis or brittle bones?

Customer:

no.....but my mother (deceased) and my sister have or have had osteoporosis.

pippistrellodaqua :

Have you seen an optometrist or ophthalmologist lately?

Customer:

no

pippistrellodaqua :

If not, I recommend having an eye doctor check it in person. If it is the first problem we discussed (ocular melanosis) then it will not be an issue.

pippistrellodaqua :

If the sclera is indeed thinning it should be addressed.

pippistrellodaqua :

Your doctor may want to run some blood work. In any case it is not something that would need to be evaluated on an emergency type basis, but I do recommend an eye exam yearly for anybody over age 50 anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone by having an in person examination and evaluation of your complete eye health.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Please don't forget to offer a positive rating once your question has been answered fully.

Also, please note that the information here does not replace an examination and should be used as educational purposes only.

Customer:

thank you

pippistrellodaqua :

You're welcome.

pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist