Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have been suffering from acute viral conjuntivitis for 2

Hello Dr,
I have been suffering from acute viral conjuntivitis for 2 weeks... the opthamaologist prescribed fluromotholone 01% drops...the irritation is reduced although there is some pinkness in the eye, but my vision is blurred and I do experience some light sensistivity.... is this natural? what should I do?
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did you have these symptoms at the time when the ophthalmologist examined your eyes?

Customer:

Not very severe...the opthalmologist ran the eye tests...there was an excessive teariness at that time

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Adenoviral conjunctivitis can cause kerato-conjunctivitis. In this condition apart from the conjunctivitis there is involvement of the cornea too which can cause blurring of vision and light sensitivity.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is self limiting and takes anywhere between 2-8 weeks.

Customer:

So what should I do then?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Rarely these corneal opacities might take months to disappear. Fluoromethalone eye drops have been given to bring the irritation and inflammation down and to hasten the recovery of corneal opacities.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can continue with the prescribed treatment and expect improvement in the next couple of weeks.

Customer:

I have now run out of my drops.... do I need to go back to my Dr and get a refill on the prescription?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I guess you can buy another bottle with the same prescription.

Customer:

Unfortunately there are no refills here in Canada....if I need to continue I must go back.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry to know that. Even if you do not put the drops, the viral infection is going to go through its natural course. The only thing is it might take longer for the corneal opacities to disappear.

Customer:

Well thank you Dr Desai for your help...it is unfortunate that I am not fully recovered yet.....By the way am I still infectious?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, the virus is shed in the tears for 3 weeks. So I guess there is still a risk of spread of infection for another week. The best way to prevent spread is by frequent washing of hands, avoid sharing towels/handkerchiefs, shake hands..

Customer:

well thank you for your help....any more advice?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Nothing more to add. You should be fine in another couple of weeks from now.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

have a great day

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You too!