Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I rubbed my eye too hard about an hour ago. a few minutes

hi i rubbed my eye...
hi i rubbed my eye too hard about an hour ago. a few minutes after i did this, my lower eye puffed up and there is a bulge on my actual eye ball- it is slightly yellowish. will this clear up with time? and how bad of damage did i do??? i can see right now but it feels really strange because of the bulge.
8/21/2012
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Dr. James :

hello.

Customer:

hi

Dr. James :

do you have any pain?

Customer:

no there's no pain

Customer:

it is just swollen on this one part of my eye ball, and my eye is blood shot

Customer:

that is what i meant my the bulge

Dr. James :

the rubbing likely caused swelling of the lining of your eyes, the conjunctiva.

Dr. James :

it may have mild bleeding in it as well called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. though the appearance is alarming, it will resolve with time in 1-2 weeks, similar to a bruise.

Dr. James :

use artificial tears to help with any irritation of the eyes. if you develop pain, decreased in vision, or double vision, you should see an eye doctor promptly.

Customer:

ok, so there is nothing i can do right now to make the swelling lessen?

Dr. James :

cold compresses can help with the swelling.

Customer:

i was doing that, ill keep doing it. it is not easy to keep closed comfortably.

Dr. James :

if it is worsening, then don't hesitate to see a doctor for evaluation.

Customer:

ok i won't. is permanent eye sight damage possible if it is just the lining that is swollen? like i said, i can see fine, it just looks and feels really strange because there is a bulge

Customer:

won't hesitate**

Dr. James :

if the lining is swollen, it should resolve with time.

Customer:

ok, thank you! you've made me worry less.

Dr. James :

you're welcome.

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James