Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My wife,, was experiencing dry, scratchy eyes, plus

My wife, Judy, was experiencing dry, scratchy eyes, plus deteriorating vision. She went to an optomitrist who said she was borderline needing cataract surgery. He referred her to a local opthamologist who said he could not do cataract surgery due to a "pucker" that is attached to the gel in her eye. She is in contacnt pain from headachs; her eyes are painful and dry/sand-filled feeling; and her vision is deteriorating. We live in Little Rock, AR, but have family in Houston and in Dallas, TX. She needs help with her eyes, but we'll need someone who can deal with the "pucker"; so, we think we need someone who is very skilled.
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

What is the cause of her headaches?

Dr. James :

.

Dr. James :

hello?

Customer:

Presumably from eye strain

Dr. James :

what did the ophthalmologist recommend?

Customer:

The optthalmologist diagnosed the "pucker" and said he would not recommend surgery; that it would be too risky. All he said was to wait; that I am on the borerline for needing cataract sugery. But my eyes are so painful and I am having such difficulty seeing, I must have some releaf. I cannot simply wait.

Dr. James :

it appears you symptoms are from the dry eyes. cataracts and a macular pucker do not cause eye pain.

Dr. James :

you should first start with frequent artificial tears.

Dr. James :

you should return to the ophthalmologist and discuss you symptoms of pain with him so he can fully evaluate the extent of the dry eyes.

Customer:

I use Rx artificial tears. That doesn't help.

Dr. James :

how often?

Customer:

3x per day

Dr. James :

are they prescription?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. James :

what is the name?

Customer:

FreshKote

Dr. James :

was this prescribed by the ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. James :

it appears your dry eyes needs to be treated more aggressively. any eye surgery will make your dry eyes worse. in addition to the FreshKote, you should use over the counter artificial tears more frequently during the day, such as systane or refresh.

Dr. James :

you may also ask your ophthalmologist about punctal plugs to keep your eyes more moist. this can be placed in the office.

Dr. James :

a topical steroid eye drops can help as well.

Customer:

O.K. I'll try that. I have another appointment in the morning and will discuss -- more aggressively -- my frustration with the conditions I'm having to endure.

Dr. James :

yes, there are still may more options.

Dr. James :

surgery should wait until the pain, dry eye are addressed first.

Dr. James :

do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr. James :

you are welcome. best wishes.