Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have poison on my eyelids. It itches as you well know. Can

I have poison on my eyelids. It itches as you well know. Can I suffer eye damage. What should I do to get this cleared up. I am applying "Ivarest" on the eye lid and that seems to stop the itching. Should I take some benadryl?
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. What poison do you have on your eyelids and how did it get there?

Customer: Poison ivy
Doctor DanB :

Yes, Benadryl can be helpful, but I would recommend using a better OTC antihistamine such as Zyrtec or Allegra or Claritin.

Doctor DanB :

I would also recommend getting some OTC 1% hydrocortisone ointment (not cream) and rubbing that on your eyelids twice daily. In addition, cool compresses over the eyes used liberally can help calm down the inflammation quicker. Usually having poison ivy on the eyelids doesn't cause any permanent eye damage; it's just a pain in the rear for a few days. Does that make sense?

Customer: Yes thank you. Is that all?
Doctor DanB :

That's all I think you really need to do for right now. Do you have any other questions about this?

Doctor DanB :

If not, your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!