Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I recently learned that the blood vessels in my optic nerve

in my "good eye" (blind...
I recently learned that the blood vessels in my optic nerve in my "good eye" (blind spot in my left), seemed to be diminished. Do you have any recommendations other than herbal remedies such as rutin, ALA and flax oil?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/8/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Who was it that said the blood vessels in your eye are diminished?

Dr. Rick :

what is wrong with your other eye?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : Who was it that said the blood vessels in your eye are diminished?
Dr. Rick : what is wrong with your other eye?
My opthamologist said this upon examination yesterday AM after yearly exam. He said it appeared pale, as opposed to a normal nerve, (other eye was fine in this regard. As I stated in the original question, I have a blind spot. To use it I have to look around the "spot" If I were to use both eyes I would have double vision. My brain chooses to shut it off.
Ok. Unfortunately, there is no good treatment for an optic nerve that is pale. The only thing that can be done is to try and find the underlying cause and treat that. However, any nerve tissue that has been lost can never be regained.
Good diet, including rutin, ALA and flax oil is an excellent idea. Also it is important to make sure your eye pressure is not to high for the health of your optic nerve (even "normal" eye pressure may be too high for some people) and rule out any other systemic or ocular causes for your pale nerve.
I wish I could tell you that this is something that we can easily treat or fix, but that is not the case.
Does this make sense to you?
Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Dear Dr. Rick,

Back on 8/8/2012, I requested that you follow up with me today to see if my issue was resolved. If I give you a positive rating for this follow-up, JustAnswer will pay you since it's included with my membership.

http://www.justanswer.com/eye-health/706tp-recently-learned-blood-vessels-optic-nerve.html Detail Required: HIGH; Urgency: HIGH
You are correct. On 8/7/12 you gave me excellent feedback and JA did, indeed, pay me :-)
Thank you very much.
So. How are you doing?
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD