pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Just wondering if you could possibly tell me how it usually

Hi. just wondering if you could possibly tell me how long it usually take to get use to a new prescription of glasses. as my new glasses seem to be okay a little strong but after a while of watching tv or the laptop my vision still blurs over and i have to rub my eyes. not everything is clear still. could this be an infection in my eyes, dry eyes or something simliar?
pippistrellodaqua :

At age 21 your prescription could likely still be changing. What your describing sounds more task related, however. When we read, use the computer, or watch TV we often forget to blink. A study was done that showed that the normal blink frequency was about 10 times per minute. When we use the computer or read or perform other interesting tasks our blink frequency decreases to 2 times per minute. This can often lead to blurry vision and dryness. I suspect that may be as bit to blame as a prescription change. I don't suspect an infection of your eyes. By making a conscious effort to blink and perhaps by using artificial tears you could likely help without needing a new pair of glasses. Take a break every few minutes and look at something different. If this doesn't help then it could be a legitimate prescription change.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available for follow-up questions if they arise.

Customer:

hi thank you for you answer...it is very difficult for me not to be looking at a screen because i work in stocks and shares and am on the computer some days from 5am till midnight that night a good 17 or so hours a day sometimes....any tips for me at all because my eye sight is becoming really bad, my eyes are producing a lot of yellow/creamy coloured mucas/sleep and are always dry around the edge...

pippistrellodaqua :

I completely understand. Even if you were to look away for a few seconds every few minutes it would help. The yellow sleepy and dryness can be helped by performing lid scrubs and warm compresses. To do this you should take a washcloth and soak it with hot water. Close your eyes and rub gently at the base of the lashes. You can use a Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo (no tears kind) as well. If the eyestrain while using the computer still remains there are certain types of computer glasses that may be useful.

pippistrellodaqua :

One type in particular is the Zeiss Anti-Fatique Lens

pippistrellodaqua :

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2010/04apr/content/through_the_lens/visual-fatigue-syndrome.asp

Customer:

excellent...i will give that ago for sure. the thing that as worried me the most though is that my eyes suddenly became alot worse than before following 2 aura migraines in 2 days over a week ago.and since then my vision as worsened a lot more.

pippistrellodaqua :

The headaches may actually be from the eyestrain. Give it a try, it has helped many of my patients. Please consider leaving a positive rating when your questions have been answered fully. Thanks in advance.

Customer:

is there any serious injuries such as brain bleed ect...that follows a migraine that it could be at all?

pippistrellodaqua :

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Bleeders in the brain are quite severe and would manifest in other ways (vision loss at all distances, portions of visual field missing, horrible pain that doesn't go away, etc.) Migraines are quite obnoxious but do not cause long term damage.

Customer:

okay that is what i have been worrying that is causing my vision....because its like when i am reading something with or without my glasses some of the letters a head or behind what i am reading seem to dissapear into a white blur.

pippistrellodaqua :

There is a tool called an Amsler Grid

pippistrellodaqua :

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i1.allaboutvision.com/i/amsler-grid.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.allabou tvision.com/conditions/amsler-grid.htm&h=382&w=382&sz=4&tbnid=1mb4SHxh0SmCZM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__qHeIlZeOtTGGhnDP-t7FnA90q0I=&docid=l8klnwTt45lUIM&sa=X&ei=bYUgUJ2fA4LQiwLFj4CADg&ved=0CF4Q9QEwAA&dur=532

pippistrellodaqua :

Cover one eye at a time and look at the center black dot. Stay about 30cm away from the grid and pay attention to see if any of the lines appear to be missing, wavy, broken or distorted.

Customer:

you want me to try this now? or would u like me to give you credit first? didnt know if you want me to tell you what happens

pippistrellodaqua :

It's up to you. If there are missing, wavy, broken or distorted lines you should probably get an eye exam. Otherwise I really wouldn't be worried. Let me know. I'll stay on for a few more minutes.

Customer:

lines are a little lighter in the top left corner when on both sides but apart from that its fine just a little bt like there is a translucent shadow in my vision when looking at the white background

pippistrellodaqua :

So long as you can detect the lines and that they are straight and present it will be all right.

pippistrellodaqua :

The contrast difference is not a problem.

Customer:

okay thank you very much for your time. excellent service and tip thank you.

pippistrellodaqua :

You're more than welcome. Take care.