Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What causes watery eyes

what causes watery eyes
8/6/2012
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
pippistrellodaqua :

There are several causes of watery eyes. Usually it is dry eye disease or it is from a blocked tear drainage duct. Dry eye disease is extremely common and can cause discomfort and even vision loss. The two main types of dry eye are 1 evaporative and 2 inflammatory. In evaporative dry eye the tears evaporate too quickly and dryness is noted. This usually does not cause the "watery eye" complaint that you are reporting. Inflammatory dry eye, however, refers to the quality of your tears. If there is enough tear, but it is of poor quality then the body will tell the eye to produce more and more tears. This usually causes the watery eye symptom and I suspect that it is to blame in your case. The other possibility is that there is no problem with dry eye and your tear drainage system is blocked. This can be evaluated by an ophthalmologist or optometrist. I suspect dry eye in your case and suggest that you use an artificial tear such as Systane or Blink. These can be obtained over-the-counter. These artificial tears have no medication in them but act as a supplement to your own tears. These tears should be used in each eye about 4 times per day. Artificial tears are always the first line of offense in dry eye. If there is no improvement after a few weeks or so I suggest being seen by an eye doctor who can further evaluate the condition. We can be much more aggressive in the treatment of dry eye symptoms if needed. More aggressive treatments include prescription eye drops and/or minor procedures to open the tear drainage system.

pippistrellodaqua :

I will be available throughout the day to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please don't forget to leave a positive rating when your question has been answered fully.

pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist