How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having trouble with my balance. i see double out of one

This answer was rated:

i am having trouble with my balance. i see double out of one eye. if i keep one eye closed my balance returns. i run a slight feaver but no headaches or upset stomach. i feel good other than the balance and double vision.
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Do you wear glasses or contact lenses? If so, when was your lastprescriptionnupdate?
Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
When the double vision is present when only one, particular eye is open, then that means it is due to some impediment in the refractive (focusing) elements in the eye. Alternatively, if the double vision wasn't in any one eye, but present with both eyes open together then this would be much more serious and could indicate a problem in the brain or blood vessels which may need much more attention and worry.
As it is, there are only a few things that can cause the double vision you are suffering from. One of these causes includes cataracts, but can also be due to a clouding of the shell that holds the lens implants if you've had cataract surgery. If this is the case this is easily diagnosed by your ophthalmologist and just as easily and safely taken care of in your eye doctor's office in a matter of a few, painless minutes. There can be problems with the cornea which are usually related to astigmatism that is uncorrected or incorrectly corrected, but this usually does not present in an abrupt nature. Sometimes there can be inflammation in the eye that can cause this, but usually there are other symptoms associated with this such as new floaters, redness, pain, and/or light sensitivity.
Knowing this I would recommend seeing your ophthalmologist as soon as possible. If this is macular degeneration then it would be important to catch these changes within the first week or so to get the necessary treatment so that these changes have less of a chance of becoming permanent. I know you probably feel uncomfortable driving to the eye doctor's office, but I would recommend getting help from a family member, friend, neighbor, or associate to get you to this appointment as I think it is very important.
At the very least, though, I am not concerned for your overall health or well-being as this type of double vision does not involve life-threatening complications. Still, though, we need to deal with what could possibly vision-threatening complications as soon as possible.
Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.