Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am a 36-yr-old woman and near-sighted and astigmatic. My

I am a 36-yr-old woman and near-sighted and astigmatic. My vision has been improving in recent years. I've noticed that when I am lying down, my vision is almost perfect. It also is best in the morning, evidently from fatigue. My prescription is R -1 and L -0.75. Can't remember the astigmatism number. Just wondering why it would be better lying, and if I can strengthen my eyes by ceasing to wear glasses?
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Wearing glasses will not weaken your eyes or make them more dependent on them so there is no need to worry about wearing, or not wearing your glasses.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I have to step away from my computer for about 4 minutes....be right back

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** Any insight into the lying-down aspect?

Dr. Rick :

I'm back...

Dr. Rick :

It could be that in the morning you cornea has swollen a little bit from sleeping and has deceased your amount of Rx......it is, to tell the truth, hard to know for sure. But, given the fact that you don't have much astigmatism or myopia a lot of factors could come into play....none of them being anything to worry about.

Customer:

Great, thanks! Truthfully, I am not worried. Just looking for ways to strengthen my eyes even further. The improvements in my eyes these last few years are welcome, and I would love to get away from wearing glasses altogether (without resorting to surgery).

Dr. Rick :

Sounds like a good plan. With your Rx you probably will be able to do most of your daily activities -- including driving -- without the need for glasses

Dr. Rick :

have a good day!

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Just one more, please. Some websites tout the benefits of eye exercises (look far, look near then repeat etc). Any value to this sort of advice?

Dr. Rick :

In my opinion all that is a bunch of hogwash....it will not do a darn thing to change your Rx. Vision is not a muscle thing but rather based on optics and how your cornea and lens bend the light an focus it on your retina. No exercises, diet etc is going to change that so don't waste your time or money.

Dr. Rick :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yup! That's great, I really appreciate this. Have a great rest of the weekend, Doctor.

Dr. Rick :

You too!