pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

I woke up this morning and I have puffiness just under my

I woke up this morning and I have puffiness just under my right eye. There is no redness or any huge discomfort. I have been diagnosed with dry eyes, so I've been on restasis for about 6 months. Could this just be some fluid that gathered due a sleeping position?
Category: Eye
Expert:  pippistrellodaqua replied 5 years ago.
pippistrellodaqua :

Sleeping position is unlikely to have been a factor in the puffy symptom under the eye. If the lid is puffy it could be an early sign of an internal hordeolum or "sty." If it is the white part of the eye on the lower part of the eye that is puffy it may be due to irritation of the eye from dryness or allergies. I suspect Restasis did not have anything to do with this problem as well. As long as there is no redness, irritation or vision fluctuations I would not worry about the condition at this point. I will be available throughout the day to answer any follow-up questions you may have. Please consider leaving a positive rating when your question has been answered fully.

Customer:

Ok then. Would you suggest that I continue to apply a cold compress every once in a while to help with the swelling? Again, there is no redness or trauma to my actual eye.

pippistrellodaqua :

Actually I suggest using a warm compress instead of cold. The cold may make it feel better, but a warm compress will help open the oil glands of the eyelid. There are a bunch of glands on the base of the lashes of the eyelids that produce an oily component of the tearfilm. These glands often get plugged up and occasionally become infected causing a sty.

pippistrellodaqua :

I suspect that is what is happening with you.

pippistrellodaqua :

Warm compresses should be used 4 times daily.

Customer:

Ok will do. And it's fine that I continue to use the restasis?

pippistrellodaqua :

Yes, the Restasis will help with any inflammation that may occur in the meantime. Please let me know if there are additional follow-up questions. I'll be available throughout the evening to check up with you if needed. Thanks again for the question and best wishes to you.

Customer:

Thanks very much. Enjoy your day.

pippistrellodaqua :

You to, thanks again.

Customer:
pippistrellodaqua :

Thanks for the feedback. There is actually a place where the answer can be rated. Please leave the positive rating by logging back into JustAnswer. Experts only get paid for answers if positive ratings are left. Thank you again.