Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Dog hit me in eye with his paw 6 hour ago, eye feels scrathy

Customer Question

dog hit me in eye with his paw 6 hour ago , eye feels scrathy and soft tissue under eye puffy I have rinsed eye several times with saline eye wash . do I need to go to local E.R. or just monitor for now and if no better seek treatment tomorrow am diabetic
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 5 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Pearl.com

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the scratchy sensation and puffiness around the eye, is there any redness or pain or watering or reduced vision in that eye?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

no

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Was it your pet dog which hit you?

Customer:

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Well if the aboven mentioned symptoms are not there, then there is a likelihood that there has been a blunt trauma to the eye and its surrounding soft tissue in the orbit. The scratchy sensation could be due to a conjunctival abrasion. If it had been a corneal abrasion there would have been pain, redness and watering in that eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The major risk here is not due to conjunctival abrasion or the soft tissue edema but more so from risk of entry of eye infection as it was the paw which hit the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to consult an ophthalmologist tomorrow for start of prophylactic antibiotic eye drops following a close look at the eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In the meanwhile you can start putting lubricating eye drops such as over the counter, preservative free Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4-6 times a day till bedtime.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can apply cool compresses for symptomatic relief.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist