Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

As an addendum to my previous question, looking through your

As an addendum to my previous question, looking through your Just Answer Library. This would be relating to the Bells Palsy episodes I experienced in the last year. My mouth still sags slightly on the right hand side, but if I try to puff out my cheeks my mouth will not seal on the left hand side, letting air escape. Also when I clean my teeth or lean forward the left hand side of my mouth seems semi paralysed.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Please don't forget to mash the accept button for my last answer ;-)

Dr. Rick :

While the issues I discussed are a separate issue from your prior Bells Palsy, the fact that you still have residual paralysis/weakness would make your eye symptoms worse, especially if your eyelid function or lid position is also affected by the residual weakness.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Good morning and Greetings from Wisconsin. Are you there?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Hi

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Customer:

Yes up to a point my tear ducts seem to be OK though

Customer:

I mean My eyes still water

Customer:

although there can be dry in the AM

Dr. Rick :

In your case it may not be so much an issue with your tear ducts but rather a problem with the eyelid function from weakness secondary to your Bells palsy

Customer:

Yes I think so

Dr. Rick :

Also, when your eyes are "dry" and irritated they make more tears....this is the "something is in my eye" mode of tear production, not the "my eye feels fine and I'm making tears to keep things moist" mode. The use of natural tears will help your eye turn off the flood of "something in my eye" tears that comes from your eyes being dry. Does this make sense?

Customer:

Yes it does I frequently get the something in my eye feeling

Dr. Rick :

If you are having problems like I discussed in your last question your eyes can feel dry and "yucky" in the morning due to all the inflammation and irritation from the blepharitis etc all night long. These symptoms make perfect sense to me.

Customer:

Yes I understand, so should I or can I try to treat the Bells

Dr. Rick :

This issue is a multifaceted problem, especially when you add in your history of Bells Palsy and residual weakness. Try the home therapy for a month and see how you feel. I bet you will be better :)

Customer:

is there anything I can do there?

Customer:

OK will do thanks

Dr. Rick :

There is probably nothing that can be done with the Bells Palsy at this point but an oculoplastic surgeon may be able to do something to improve your function......no way to know without a consultation.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.