Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My eye is really red and seems to be very sensitive to

Customer Question
sunlight. it happened when i...
my eye is really red and seems to be very sensitive to sunlight. it happened when i woke up this morning (accidently slept woth my contacts in) it hurts to try to keep it open and move it. and i dont know if it has anything to do with it, but my nose is running out of the left nostril (same eye side)
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
8/4/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

yes

Doctor DanB : I suspect that you have either scratched your cornea, or worse, you may have a contact lens-related infection. The reason your left nostril is running is because your eye on that side is watery and your tears drain into your nose. Does this make sense?
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

yes that makes sense

JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

ive never had a problem with these contacts before, ive worn thus brand for years

Doctor DanB : Unfortunately, sometimes all it takes is for someone to sleep once in a contacts lens and that can cause an infection.
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

is this something serious? or will it clear up itself?

Doctor DanB : It can be serious, unfortunately. I would recommend seeing an eye doctor as soon as possible.
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

since it is saturday, and i dont know of any eye doctors available on sundays, is there chance it will clear up over night or will i have to go to emergency room or wait until monday if still not better

JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

are there any otc eye drops that could help

Doctor DanB : I would recommend staying out of the contact lenses and using some artificial tears (Refresh or Systane are good brand names) 5-6x/day and if, despite this, you get worse then you ought to go to the ER. That sounds drastic, but unfortunately a contact lens-related infection can potentially be devastating to an eye and to the vision.
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

okay, because there are no problems visually when i wear my glasses, it just hurts and is red. and seems dry..is that the eye trying to fight whatever is wrong

Doctor DanB : That is the inflammation that is related to the scratch or infection. Even though the vision is unchanged in the glasses, if an infection is present and worsens, then it can ultimately come to affect the vision. Hopefully, though, just a few days out of the lenses and some artificial tears will help to get you over it. Though, I would recommend not sleeping in the lenses again. I've seen some terrible badness result from it. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?   
Doctor DanB : If not, Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
JACUSTOMER-l6tif2ml- :

no i think thats it. thank you

Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.