pippistrellodaqua
pippistrellodaqua, Optometrist
Experience:  Specialty in contact lenses, medical eye management, LASIK
69746508

Every now and then I get a stabbing pain in my eye. It only

Hi , every now and then I get a stabbing pain in my eye. It only lasts for a few moments and does not effect my vision. No redness, etc.. It happens occasionally not all the time. What isbthis from? I am worried about a brain tumor or MS.
pippistrellodaqua :

As an optometrist I often have patients who report to my office with pain in the eye. To fully assess any risk I have a few follow-up questions. 1 How many times per day does this happen? 2 How long does the pain last? 3 Is it in one eye or both? 4 Do your eyes feel gritty, itchy, burning or dry? 5 Do you wear contact lenses? 6 How long have you noticed this has been going on? (happening over a few days or over a few weeks, etc.)

pippistrellodaqua :

Conditions I want to rule out include: dry-eye, infections, inflammation, toxicity to medications or make-up, neurological conditions etc.

pippistrellodaqua :

I see you have entered the chat. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions too.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contacts
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contacts
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eye
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eye
pippistrellodaqua :

Is it always the same eye?

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eye
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sure
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sure
pippistrellodaqua :

Please rate the pain on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst pain you have ever felt.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sure
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sure
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?
pippistrellodaqua :

There are many conditions that can cause pain in the eye. What you're describing fits none of the scary conditions. I would not worry about MS or tumors based on how you have responded. MS almost always manifests in the eye with double vision or blurry vision due to optic nerve swelling.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?
pippistrellodaqua :

Brain tumors will often cause loss of visual field in that a chunk of your vision may be missing out of one or both eyes.

pippistrellodaqua :

Honestly, I suspect dry eye related conditions are to blame here.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?
pippistrellodaqua :

Dry eye can be very painful. The cornea is the front surface of the eye. It has many nerves that detect pain. If dryness or even make-up debris or something else in the tear film hits one of the nerves of the cornea the patient may feel a sharp pain.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?What do I do?
pippistrellodaqua :

I recommend using an artificial tear that can be obtained over-the-counter. Something like a Systane or Blink brand tear will work well.

pippistrellodaqua :

These drops have no medication but act as a supplement to your tear-film.

pippistrellodaqua :

They can be dosed 2-4 times per day in each eye.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?What do I do?What if they don't work
pippistrellodaqua :

I suggest trying these artificial tears for a few weeks. If no improvement is noted I recommend using warm compresses and lid scrubs as well.

pippistrellodaqua :

Let me explain this. . .

pippistrellodaqua :

Warm compresses and lid scrubs help with the health of the eyelids and can be useful in cases such as yours.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
pippistrellodaqua :

Take a wash cloth and put it under hot water for a few minutes.

pippistrellodaqua :

With your eyes closed you can rub gently at the base of the lashes and keep the heat on the eyelids.

pippistrellodaqua :

I know that it sounds rather simple, but proper hygiene of the eyes can help nearly every patient I see. It can even help with momentary pain.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Hello?Then what is it?Is that painful?What do I do?What if they don't workHello?
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
pippistrellodaqua :

Try the artificial tears and lid scrubs and warm compresses.

pippistrellodaqua :

Please feel free to contact me again if there is still concern.

Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
Customer: pain comes and goes, lasts a few moments then goes away or may happen again that day. Sometimes I go for a few weeks with no problem, then happens out of the blue. No contactsOne eyeI think so, but not sureUmm.... 4-5
pippistrellodaqua :

If there is still concern after you have tried the lid scrubs, warm compresses and artificial tears I would recommend an eye exam. Comfort is often obtained by these means and again, I do not suspect anything scary based on your responses. I suspect you will have great success with these methods.

pippistrellodaqua :

Please feel free to contact me again if there are other concerns. Thanks. Please consider positive rating when your question has been answered fully.

Thanks again for being able to chat. I always appreciate the opportunity to answer questions live. Please don't forget to offer a positive rating regarding our conversation. If you still have follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask.