How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick Your Own Question
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 11363
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a senior citizen I have puffy bags under my eyes. I once

This answer was rated:

As a senior citizen I have puffy bags under my eyes. I once saw a non-invasive procedure on your show that might reduce this. I am a woman who wore glasses and now since eye surgery do not.This is much more noticeable.They are red in the evening. Do you have any suggestions. H.Peaceman
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

We are not associated with any TV program but I can help you.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:
Dr. Rick : Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Dr. Rick : We are not associated with any TV program but I can help you.
Dr. Rick : Are you available to chat?
what type of eye surgery did you have?
It sounds like you have orbital fat prolapse. This is a benign condition.
The most common cause of dark circles under the eyes is breakdown of the orbital septum which allows the normal orbital fat tissue that surrounds and cushions your eyeball to "pooch" forward.
As you know, there are tons of creams and lotions for the ladies to use for this issue. Why are there so many different ones? Because none of them work :-)
With age the thin, tough membrane (orbital septum) that keeps the normal fat pad in place behind your eye becomes weak and tears. When this happens you start to notice the swelling, or bags, under your eyes. It is nothing to worry about.
The only way to treat this problem is with surgery, called a blepharoplasty. Many times it can be done in a procedure room in the ophthalmologist’s office.
Here is a good webpage that discusses this surgery:
There really is no non-surgical treatment that will work for your condition.
Does this make sense to you?
Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.
Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.
Let me know if you have further questions.
WOW!!!!! You gave me negative feedback before I was even able to answer your question due to technical problems with our chat system. That's really not very nice. :(
I am sorry to see that you have given me a poor rating for the assistance I have provided.
I would ask that you give me a chance to provide you with further data so that you have the information you need to address your issue.
I would appreciate a good or excellent rating and will work hard to obtain it if given the chance.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Who is qualified to do this surgery. What might be the cost ? And how do you find a qualified doctor. My surgeon does not do this.
An oculoplastic surgeon would be the best doctor qualified to do this type of surgery but many general ophthalmologists are comfortable doing the procedure.
The cost varies from place to place but you can expect, if you were to pay out of pocket (insurance will sometimes cover this) you can expect it to be in the $1,800 to $2,500 range.
You can ask your general doctor, ophthalmologist or friends for a referral or you can google for oculoplastic surgeons in your town.
If you would like I would be happy to search for an oculoplastic doctor in your area. Just let me know what city you live in, or what major city your are near and how far you can travel for treatment.
It was a pleasure to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you