Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have what looks like a burst blood vessel in my right eye,

on the cornea (white part)...
I have what looks like a burst blood vessel in my right eye, on the cornea (white part), no pain. It appeared on Sunday, 4 days ago. No pain. No history of high blood pressure. It has dispersed a bit, but still looks very creepy. I am 63 years old and have no pre-existing conditions. Should I see a doctor?
8/2/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I am an ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

What you have experienced is called a subconjunctival hemorrhage. It is very common and is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

In the vast majority of cases, sub conjunctival hemorrhage is nothing to worry about. It is usually not a sign of any serious condition but rather is just a small broken blood vessel in the conjunctiva that looks much worse than it really is.

No treatment is necessary. Think of a subconjunctival hemorrhage as a bruise. The reason it looks so red (some people say it looks like a piece of raw meat) is that the skin on your eye is very thin so the underlying blood shows through easily. On your arm, for instance, a bruise looks blue/purple because the overlying skin is thick, blocking the red color of the blood.

Like a bruise elsewhere a subconjunctival hemorrhage will slowly go away over the course of a couple of weeks. It may spread around the globe some and change colors as it clears. This is nothing to be concerned about.

Dr. Rick :

There is no need to seek medical attention for this condition....you will be just fine.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Good afternoon. Welcome to chat. I was just answering your question.

Customer:

Yes, it does. I thought that it's nothing to worry about, but it looks so vampire-ish I was starting to freak out a bit. I feel so much better now. Thank you.

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure. Have a good day :-)

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD