Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I saw another Opthalmologist and he said the optic nerve is

I saw another Opthalmologist and he said the optic nerve is no loner swollen but I still cannot see with my right eye. Does this indicate permanent damage to my right eye? The doctor's report indicates Optic Atrophy OD; probable AION OD and Neovascular Membrane OD. What do those abbreviatons mean in terms I can understand? When he checked me he said I had bloody retina behind eye. I am now being referred to a retina specialist.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

I have to step away from my computer for a bit but I will answer you the moment I return :)

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm back.

Dr. Rick :

yes. Most likely at this point the damage that has been done to your optic nerve is not going to get better. Once there is evidence of atrophy that means there is loss of the actual nerve tissue which, as you know can never be replaced.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad to hear that he is sending you to a retina specialist for the blood in the retina. There are many, many causes of this and a retina doc is the best person to figure it out and fix it.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Please don't click "bad" or "poor" service as this leaves me negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied, just click "reply." I will be happy to discuss your issue in more depth and do everything I can to provide you with the information you require.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Hi Gloria,
I was just thinking about you and wondering what the retina doctor found. I am a retina surgeon and would be happy to answer any questions you have. Take care.