Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just left the hospital today and found out i was a

i just left the hospital today and found out i was a diabetic.. what made me go to the hospital is because my eye vision was really blurry.. is there something i could do to stop it is it going to stay the same..
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?

Doctor DanB :

Most people who are recently diagnosed with diabetes do not end up having significant diabetic retinopathy (leaking and bleeding of blood vessels in the retina from out of control diabetes). Most people in your situation are having blurry vision because their uncontrolled blood sugar causes their lens in their eye to swell with fluid, which causes a change in the refractive error (or need for glasses). The best thing you can do for this, and basically the only thing, is to get the blood sugars under control (less than 200 consistently). Once you've accomplished this for two straight months, then your refractive error should revert back to what it was before your sugars went out of control. Until then, any attempts to get glasses will be frustrating.

Does that make sense?

Customer:

so if I get my sugar under controll then my vision will go back to normal.. is there a possible that my eyes could stay thes way

Doctor DanB :

It's possible, yes, but it's quite unlikely.

Customer:

I can see clearly up to two feet but everything of two feet is a lil blurry what kind of glasses do i need

Doctor DanB :

So everything within 2 feet of you is blurry? How old are you?

Customer:

26

Doctor DanB :

So to confirm, everything closer than 2 feet is blurry but everything else is fine?

Customer:

yes... I can see still but its blurry

Doctor DanB :

You may consider getting some OTC reading glasses; just try on whatever strength works well enough for you to see up close.

Customer:

ok.. i just hope my eye vision goes back well .. let me get this right even if I maintain my sugar trhere is still a possibilty my eye vision could stay the same

Doctor DanB :

If there is diabetic retinopathy happening. You need to see an ophthalmologist in the near future to determine that, but like I said before, it's quite unlikely as you have just been diagnosed. It usually isn't present on diagnosis.

Customer:

ok thanks

You're welcome. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry!