Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I HAD CATARACT REMOVAL WITH LENS IMPLANTS BOTH EYES

RIGHT1993 LEFT 1998.I TAKE CLONIDINE...
I HAD CATARACT REMOVAL WITH LENS IMPLANTS BOTH EYES RIGHT1993 LEFT 1998.I TAKE CLONIDINE .1MG FOR HYPERTENSION
NEXIUM FOR GERD. AMITRYPTILINE 50MG AT BEDTIME FOR DEPRESSION. THE DOCTOR TREATING ME HAS INJECTED A STREROID
INTO THE LEFT EYE. USING A BROMDAY EYE GTTS BOTH EYES TWICE
A DAY.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/23/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you are suffering from significant posterior uveitis or retinal inflammation.

Dr. Rick :

It is accepted practice to inject kenalog into the vitreous cavity for severe inflammation.

Dr. Rick :

What would you like to know as I really don't see a question in your posting.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon and can help you with this issue.

Did you have surgery to remove your epiretinal membrane?

do you have any medical problems or take any medications?

Customer:

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS LIKELY TO HAPPEN. COULD IT SPREAD TO THE RIGHT EYE

Dr. Rick :

That depends on the cause of the retinal edema but in the vast majority of cases it will not spread from one eye to the other.

Dr. Rick :

I'm not sure what extra anti inflammatory action is being gained by the use of the Bromday drops in light of the intravitreal steroid injection......but using them sure won't hurt anything at all.

Dr. Rick :

I know you said that the doctor looked at your retina with an OCT machine. Did they say anything about an epiretinal membrane or doing any type of retina surgery?

Customer:

WILL IT GET WORSE. mY SIGHT IS GOOD. WHAT CAUSES THE INFLAMMATION .

Customer:

NO HE IS NOT PLANNING SURGERY. THERE ARE SOME EVIDENCE OF SWELLING

Dr. Rick :

That all depends upon the cause of the inflammation. Have you been evaluated by a retina specialist? Has your doctor said what they think is causing your retinal edema?

Customer:

IN THE RIGHT RETINA BUT THE VISION IS FINE THE DOCTOR TREATING ME IS A RETINAL

Dr. Rick :

Ok. I am glad to hear that you are being treated by a retina specialist. That is the best way to make sure you are getting state of the art diagnosis and care.

Dr. Rick :

There is a very good chance that the steroid injection into your eye will reduce the swelling, although it could take a few weeks. As you have already noticed you will be able to see the "globs" of the steroids floating around inside your eye and this is nothing to worry about.

Customer:

SPECIALIST GOOD ENOUGH DOCTOR/ THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Dr. Rick :

My pleasure.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD