Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I sprayed my child with Off! Insect Repellant for use on

Customer Question
children, and shortly afterwards I...
I sprayed my child with Off! Insect Repellant for use on children, and shortly afterwards I felt an aching sensation in my eye. I splashed it with water for a few minutes; it felt better, and we went out for the afternoon. However, I noticed the vision in the eye was becoming blurred and grey, and tonight I can't see out of it at all. Is this something treatable or should I just wait to see an improvement? Many thanks for your help!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
7/9/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. When you say you can't see anything at all, do you mean that with your other eye shut you can't even see light or is it that you're not able ti read or see the TV or across the room with this eye?
Customer:

With my other eye shut, I can see a faint strip of light at the bottom my eye; the rest is like a dark grey cloud. I can't read anything or see anything in the room. I can vaguely see if I really strain my eye to do it, but that hurts to do.

Doctor DanB : If you've flushed your eye out for at least 15 minutes and are using artificial tears regularly and your vision is still like this, then this may not resolve on its own. I suspect you may have some corneal damage in the form of a large corneal abrasion or swelling in the cornea. I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist as soon as you can, but ti continue artificial tears frequently.
Customer:

I'm not sure whether this is due to the insect repellant, or whether it just happened to occur at that time. I spoke to the poison control centre who said I shouldn't have had a reaction this bad!

Doctor DanB : I do agree this seems to be a pretty excessive reaction to this chemical. Do you have any floating things in the vision or any flashing/arcing lights in the vision of that eye?
Customer:

Do you think this is something I should put off until morning, or should I go to Accident & Emergency?

Customer:

No, I don't have any floating things in my vision or flashing lights. It just feels sore to move.

Doctor DanB : I would actually go to the emergency and not wait, given how excessive your reaction is.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other questions about this that I can help you with?
Customer:

Is there any hope of this resolving itself naturally?!

Customer:

(Sorry - last question!)

Doctor DanB : Well, unfortunately that's difficult to say as I can't examine you and therefore can't say with certainty I know exactly what is happening; I only have my suspicions based on what I suspect may have happened. But then again, your reaction seems to be significantly out of proportion to what I would expect for someone who didn't get a direct spray into the eye. Could you just wait and see what happens in the morning? Maybe so, but in the end, it's possible that this is something altogether different and therefore could be serious.
Doctor DanB : Make sense?
Customer:

Ok, we're going to the emergency room - thank you for your help!

Doctor DanB : My pleasure. Good luck! Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.