Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I just realized I have been using swimmers ear drops by

I just realized I have been using swimmers ear drops by mistake to treat my pink eye for 3 days (1 drop twice a day for 3 days). My eye was not getting better and is red and irritated and I just realized why!! What should I do?????
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The ear drops would have incited a chemical reaction in the eye. But this should be a mild reaction which would subside by 1-2 days time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can start putting lubricating eye drops available over the counter such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops or systane eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day for the next few days till symptoms last.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Could you name the ear drops?

Customer:

Hi, yes, I am available. My question is, should I continue with the Opthalmic solution drops that I was supposed to take for the "pink eye"?

Customer:

The name of the eardrops is Ciprodex

Customer:

Or should I just stop the opthalmic solution drops and do the refresh tears eye drops?

Customer:

Hello? Are you still there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Sorry, I am here...

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Which ophthalmic solution are you using now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Most often than not pink eye is due to viral cause which is a self limiting condition and would last anywhere between 1-2 weeks.

Customer:

I am using Vigamox.

Customer:

My daughter had swimmers ear and I confused the 2 drops when I started to get a viral pink eye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

So I guess using lubricating drops alone would be enough. They would give a soothening effect for the viral conjunctivitis as well as to the mild chemical reaction due to the ear drops.Since you are already using Vigamox eye drops, you may as well continue it so as to give protection from any superadded bacterial infection.

Customer:

Pink eye usually goes away in a couple days, so when I noitced it didn't go away in 3 days is when I realized the mistake

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Nevermind about the mix up , we all do have such errors......

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No harm done..

Customer:

ok, so keep using vicamox as directed (1 drop - 3 times per day), AND also do refreshing drops???

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Vigamox and lubricating eye drops should be more than enough

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Refresh tears eye drops would help to give a soothening effect to the eyes.

Customer:

ok, I just read that the ear drops had acid in them and I was afraid I had burned my eyeball for good :(

Customer:

Have I affected my eyesight or done any long-term harm?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, I don't think any such thing has occured. No your eyes should be absolutely fine once the pink eye subsides in a few days time.

Customer:

ok, great. I will do both drops then....thanks so much for your help!!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist