Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

What happens to your eyes when you are in darkness for an extended

What happens to your eyes when you are in darkness for an extended period of time. I'm referring to complete darkness no light.

Welcome to Just Answer

What kind of duration are you referring to? Is it in minutes/hours or more?

Hello Deborah,

Theoretically there is no damage done to the eyes when exposed to total darkness. The eyes do try to adapt to darkness but in absolute darkness I guess there is no further adaptation. The only hitch is the person experiences severe glare when exposed to light again.

Please feel free to ask follow up questions if any.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

A positive rating is what I aim for and we can continue to interact till you get a satisfactory response.A positive feedback and /or bonus are most welcome and appreciated.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So no damage to the eyes but does a person suffer equilibrium issues or when exposed to light again how long for eyes to adjust to light? Moments, minutes, hours?
When exposed to light ( after being in dark for long) the eye takes approximately 5 minutes to adapt to light( function of cones in the retina). Whereas the dark adaptation takes longer say 20-30 minutes to adapt to darkness ( function of rods).As for equilibrium issues, yes till the eyes adapt to the light, it would be difficult to walk or stand comfortably.

I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Thank you and best wishes.