Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

If you have a corneal abrasion/foreign body (Im not sure if

it's one or the other...
If you have a corneal abrasion/foreign body (Im not sure if it's one or the other - It's just pain and redness) in the outer corner of your eye, is it possible that contact wear would not affect the area? I have been wearing my glasses for the past three days, symptoms are getting much better. I was wondering how much longer I should be waiting until I put my contacts back in.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/6/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Hello! Yes, now would be fine.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Were you prescribed Tobradex eye drops after an eye exam by an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Yes, and I've been using it the past three days

Customer:

I had seen two doctors - One general md at a walk in clinic who said I had a significant abrasion, the other an opthalmologist who said he didn't see anything - both did dye tests... The opthamologist said it was just an irritation and perscribed me the drops

Customer:

He said I could wear my contacts right away, but I'm nervous about that. I was hoping for another opinion

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I wonder if it is a corneal abrasion as it is in the outer corner of the eye and moreover it would have healed in the first 24 hours itself. I would agree with the ophthalmologist regarding the possibility of an eye irritation.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

As long as the redness is not due to an eye infection or acute inflammation, it is alright to start resuming the contact lenses.

Customer:

Can I wear my contacts and use the drops as well?

Customer:

I do have slight pain but nothing significant. If my eye was infected or inflamed - would it be obvious?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You do not seem to be having any signs or symptoms suggestive of an ongoing eye infection ( especially after an eye exam already), so I guess it is alright to go ahead with the contact lenses. Yes , an eye infection or inflammation would have been quite obvious.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is better to instill the eye drops before putting on the contact lenses.

Customer:

So I can use the eyedrops, wait a while - and put my contacts on?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , a gap of 5-10 mins should be fine.

Customer:

Ok, great!
Thank you very much.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome !

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist