Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Dr. Rick I had Carotid endarterectomy left three weeks ago

Dr. Rick...
Dr. Rick I had Carotid endarterectomy left three weeks ago and hope the arora's in the eyes were gone this past week I have had them twice a week apart but just in the left eye and it last only a minute or so bright flashing zigzag lights in left side of eye it seems. The Vascular surgeon said if I had anymore (TIA's) it would not be from that left artery. What could be causing this if only in one eye instead of both now?? Never had them in just one eye before No other symptom from them
7/6/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

These bright flashing zig zag lines that only last a brief bit might be from vitreous strands pulling on your retina....a different source of eye flashes then ocular migraines.

Dr. Rick :

Here is some general information on this issue:

Dr. Rick :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes called the vitreous. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself, forms little clumps that you can see as dots, lines or bugs. As these clumps form the vitreous pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you may see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam is precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

This would explain why you are only seeing this in one eye now.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are offline. I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I'm glad to hear that your surgery went well. Take care and have a good day :)

I am sorry I was taking care of my daughter so if (((If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightning storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment))) happens will it keep on or be intermitant like I am having just a minute or two at a time

Rena

I do not think you have to worry about a retinal detachment from what you have told me.

I think you can expect to see these flashes off an on for short periods of time.

you said I might expect to see these flashes off and on for short periods of time Which flashes are you speakin g of the ones I do not have to worry about or the ones about the retinal detachment

That is a good question :)

I think you will continue to see the flashes from vitreous traction --the ones that go along with the risk of a retinal detachment.....BUT I do not think you have to worry that your retina is going to detach.

Just see an ophthalmologist in the near future.......
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD