Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have very high myopia: -13.5 OD and -14.5 OS. I also have

I have very high myopia...
I have very high myopia: -13.5 OD and -14.5 OS. I also have lattice degeneration, vitreous floaters.
I take 100 mg pristiq, 10 mg zyrtec, symbicort, proair, and humira every other week
for depression, allergies, asthma, and possible crohn's disease
Yesterday, I was prescribed a prostaglandin eye drop for IOP of 30.
Could my other medications lead to increased eye pressure? Should I change them?
I would appreciate your thoughts.
7/6/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Customer:

Hi.

Dr. Rick :

Good morning.

Dr. Rick :

No. I do not believe that your medications are contributing to your increased ocular pressure. It sounds, from what you have posted, that you have open angle glaucoma.

Customer:

would the high myopia be a contributing factor?

Dr. Rick :

Are you being treated by an ophthalmologist? Some States allow optometrists to treat glaucoma.......

Dr. Rick :

No, not really.

Customer:

Yes, I see a retina specialist, and yesterday was a glaucoma specialist.

Dr. Rick :

But, as you probably already know, you are at a higher risk for a retinal detachment with that much myopia........

Customer:

I have seen the retina specialist for over 20 years.

Dr. Rick :

OK. It sounds like you are in excellent hands. Travata/xalatan etc are excellent drops for glaucoma with almost no side effects.

Dr. Rick :

I am a retina surgeon when I'm not here on JA :-)

Dr. Rick :

If a glaucoma specialist feels you need to start pressure drops you can be assured that is the correct thing to do....

Dr. Rick :

Of course, Glaucoma specialists are not as smart as Retina Surgeons :) lol!

Customer:

I did have an episode of "lightning flashes" about 6 years ago, but no retinal tears were noted.

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad to hear that. Have you needed laser on any of your areas of lattice?

Customer:

no

Dr. Rick :

good. Sounds like you have a good retina surgeon too ;) Some ophthalmologists, in my opinion, are too quick to laser around lattice.....

Customer:

I have an older retina surgeon; I probably will have to find a new one soon :-(

Dr. Rick :

Ya....I guess I'm an older one too....20 years of practice but I hope to last at least another 10 years or so.....I'll see how this ObamaCare thing shakes out.

Dr. Rick :

Maybe I'll go full time on JA ;)

Customer:

This Dr. is even older......but he is one of the best in my area.

Dr. Rick :

Maybe I'll see him in Chicago this year at the Retina Sub specialty day. I go every year to the AAO meeting...

Customer:

Thank you for your answer. I need to tend to other things now,.

Dr. Rick :

Me too. Time to head to the office. Take care and have a good day.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Bye :)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD