Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I'm 65, visit my optometrist every February, and recently

began taking medication to lower...
I'm 65, visit my optometrist every February, and recently began taking medication to lower my "bad" cholesterol count ( and my marginally-high blood pressure). Said regimen has done both. But lately I've "seen" an apparent particle float across my right eye's field of vision, and sense a bit of blurriness (for lack of a better charcterization) about that field's periphery. If it is relevant, I am male and fifteen pounds too hefty--working at correcting that latter matter.
7/5/2012
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Apart from the floater do have any other eye symptoms such as flashes of light ( sudden onset) ? Is the blurrness very significant in the visual field?

Customer:

To both queries, no.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. In that case the new floater is most likely to be due to posterior vitreous detachment or PVD.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I will give you a brief report on this.

Customer:

Please do. It is Greek to me.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye( called vitreous) gets detached from its surrounding retina . This results in retinal traction which results in the symptom of flashes of light and includes color distortion.Flashes of light may not be prominent in some individuals. Once the vitreous gets detached completely , it may form clumps or strands and cause symptom of floaters such as dark spots, cobweb or thread like strands in the visual field.

More often it is not a serious issue and does not require any specific treatment. A routine retina examination needs to be done by an ophthalmologist just to check for the intactness of the retina and to look for any peripheral retinal tears or holes, which if found, can be sealed by lasers.

The only concern is that of a remote possibility of a retinal tear extending into a frank retinal detachment, which is characterised by symptoms of sudden increase of flashes or floaters and a curtain or veil falling in the field of vision. This requires urgent treatment by a retinal specialist.This is not a common feature and is more predisposed in myopic and diabetic individuals.You do not seem to be having any of these acute symptoms, so as of now a routine eye exam should suffice.

PVD can occur suddenly at anytime and is a diagnosis of exclusion and does not show any signs as such on eye examination. What you would need at this stage is a routine eye exam ( not an emergency) to look at the back of the eye. If PVD is confirmed then there is nothing much to be done. It would be best to ignore the floaters after that. Some floaters tend to drift out of visual field too.

Customer:

I understand that, barring the arisal of greater symptomology, I've no cause for alarm, yes?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, you are absolutely right : )

Customer:

Thank you--that is good to know. Semper Fi!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist