Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I recently have had a hard time focusing on text on a

computer screen. As well as...
I recently have had a hard time focusing on text on a computer screen. As well as it seems my peripheral vision is blurred. This started about a week ago. Large objects and people are fine its mainly when focusing on one thing things in the side seem blurrier then they used to.
7/5/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Did your optometrist dilate your eyes and do a complete check of the retina?
Customer:

no

Customer:

a while ago when she updated my perscription

Customer:

but when i went back she just did the perscription test and looked with a bright light

Doctor DanB : I think you need to have a dilated eye examination, but preferably by an ophthalmologist to make sure there is no retinal problem causing decreased peripheral vision.
Doctor DanB : Does that make sense?
Customer:

yeah i will make and appt to do that asap

Customer:

what could it be?

Customer:

the throuble focusing is my main issue also is seems like i notice reflections and glares alot more

Customer:

trouble*

Doctor DanB : The things I would want to make sure is not happening would be a retinal tear/detachment, glaucoma or a congenital retinal problem.
Customer:

and then i look at text on the pages if feels like my eyes relax when seeing the white, like i am doing a magic eye poster

Doctor DanB : Did you get new glasses?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Customer:

should i go to the ER?

Customer:

yeah

Customer:

she raided my perscription and i recently switch to contacts

Customer:

raised

Doctor DanB : No, I don't think that's necessary. I would just make an appointment with an ophthalmologist for the near future.
Customer:

ok im not in immediate danger?

Customer:

i can still see clearly, but focusing is harder and more work

Customer:

this just started happening so i am really scared

Customer:

since ive always had glasses but i felt it being diffrent last week

Doctor DanB : From what you've told me, I don't think so. But just to make sure are you having any: severe eye pain, light sensitivity, significantly decreased vision, flashing lights or floating things in the vision?
Customer:

i have floaters every now and again but thats its no pain

Customer:

lights seems brighter but not to the point that it hurts my eyes

Doctor DanB : Hiw long have you been in the contacts now?
Customer:

2 days in a row

Customer:

maybe 3

Customer:

i noticed the problem though in my glasses as well which is what prompted me to get it checked and my lenses updated

Doctor DanB : It can be quite a significant adjustment going from glasses to contacts and your vision can seem intermittently blurry and just off during this transition period.
Customer:

but i still seem to have problems in contacts as well and i am a large guy

Customer:

so i am getting checked for diabtes and HBP to be safe

Doctor DanB : I see. This doesn't sound like an emergency though. Just see an ophthalmologist soon.
Customer:

from what is sounds like am i am risk for vision loss?

Customer:

I will try to see one this week

Doctor DanB : No I don't have any reason to suspect you are currently at risk for vision loss.
Customer:

cool. Thanks for the help o i ask for a dialted exam

Customer:

or theyll know what todo?

Doctor DanB : I would just tell them what you've told me and that you feel you need a complete dilated eye exam.
Customer:

ok will do

Doctor DanB : Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Customer:

Thanks again

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.