Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My lower eyelid has been swollen for the last six months.

Customer Question

my lower eyelid has been swollen for the last six months. Its just on my left eye. There is some scaling or what looks like white patches that can be cleaned off my lid with warm water. It it usually sore to the touch. My eyelashes look matted and i have been losing more than usual on the infected eyelid. There is very little discharge in the morning and my eyes are not stuck together at all, more so pulling long strings of whiteish muchs out
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Do your eyes itch?

Customer:

yes they do, i get an intense itch sometimes on the lower right side. When this all first started they were extremly itchy. it seems to be getting progressivly worse as there is now redness and swelling on the outside lid margin as well as the interior

Doctor DanB :

I think you are suffering from allergic conjunctivitis and dermatitis, in addition to blepharitis. While you are currently doing the necessary treatments for blepharitis (artificial tears, eyelid scrubs, antibiotic drops), if the allergies aren't treated, then it can all seem for not. Let me elaborate on how to treat this...

Doctor DanB :

First of all, it is important to control the eye's response to allergens and this would include taking an antihistamine drop; a couple of over-the-counter brand names include Alaway or Zaditor and they both work fairly well. If you try these and it helps but is not quite enough, then you may do better with a prescription allergy drop called Pataday which works very well. If this still isnt enough then you may be necessary to start an oral antihistamine such as Claritin or zyrtec which you can buy over-the-counter if this isnt helping. Lastly, cold compresses done several times/day can and will help the itching sensation and suppress the inflammation. In addition, to help the itching and scaling of the skin, use 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the affected areas of the skin twice daily.

Doctor DanB :

Does this all make sense?

Customer:

yes is is safe to use a hydracortizone cream near my eyes?

Doctor DanB :

If you use the ointment form, it is much less likely to get in the eyes.

Doctor DanB :

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

Doctor DanB :

If not,

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor. Thanks for your inquiry!