Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Have water seeping in to retina. What is the cure

have water seeping in to retina. What is the cure
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina surgeon.

Do you mean that you have some fluid in the part of your retina called the macula?

How long ago was your retina detachment? Did you require any other procedure to repair the retina issue then laser, such as a gas bubble, scleral buckle etc?

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?

Customer:
Dr. Rick :

There can be a number of reasons why you are having fluid accumulate after your retina surgery and the correct treatment will depend on the cause.

If there is an open hole that would need to be sealed, either with laser, cryo or more surgery.

I see you are online and have sent me a message. I have to stop typing to read it :)

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing. I'll wait for you to post your statement.

Customer:

I was told that because they did not know what was causing detachment, they wanted to use gel to replace fluid and I would have to use lense for six months to be able to see.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like they are wanting to put silicone jell inside your eye. This is a big step and tells me that there is significant fluid leaking with diffuse retinal detachment off of your your previously placed scleral buckle. And, yes, your vision will not be very good after the gel is placed inside your eye.

Dr. Rick :

That being said I agree with placement of the silicone inside your eye. It works when other treatments will not. Also, this is not the same type of silicone that caused all the problems with breast implants so you do not have to worry about that :)

Dr. Rick :

This is a surgery that I do many times every year and when it works it works very, very well.

Dr. Rick :

I have to say, from what you have told me, it seems that you are in excellent hands with this retina doctor and, hopefully, when it is all said and done you will have useful vision in your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick :

We have been experiencing problems with the chat system for the last few days. Our engineers are working on it. However, I'll switch over to the Q&A system. This system works a lot like 'text messaging' but an email is sent to each of us anytime something is posted to this thread. We can continue to work on your question there..... :)

We have been experiencing technical difficulties with the chat system. Please allow me to retype my chat here for your review:

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Do you have any medical problems or take any medicine?</pCustomer: Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

I see that you are typing. I'll wait for you to post your statement. </pCustomer:

I was told that because they did not know what was causing detachment, they wanted to use gel to replace fluid and I would have to use lens for six months to be able to see.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like they are wanting to put silicone jell inside your eye. This is a big step and tells me that there is significant fluid leaking with diffuse retinal detachment off of your previously placed scleral buckle. And, yes, your vision will not be very good after the gel is placed inside your eye.

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Dr. Rick :

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick :

I see you have reviewed my post but not posted any positive feedback.

Is there something else you would like to ask me? If not, please mash the excellent feedback button :)

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I just finished doing a retina repair that required silicon oil and I was wondering how you are doing. Did your surgery go well? I hope so.
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD