Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Dr Rick, I'm not sure you are still there, but I have

Dr Rick, I'm not sure you...
Dr Rick,
I'm not sure you are still there, but I have another question. Is it better to sit down straight or to lie down after having a procedure to fix the tear? I wonder if gravity could "delay" healing, particularly since my tear is on the top quadrant. On occasion I feel a little thing as if there was a strange body under my eye lid, and sometimes I feel a little burning sensation ( happened a couple of times today and yesterday). My feeling is that this " repair" didn't work as desired. I wonder if that turns out to be the case, if the same tear can be "refrozen" ,or if the symptoms I am having is due to another tear?
I'm not sure how the payment for those questions will work...I' m really so afraid I may have to have additional repair, or worse, surgery. I have been terrifying of going to sleep and wake up,without my vision. Thank you for your time and answering my questions. I wish doctors would give a paper with some guidance, just like dentists do after oral surgery...
7/1/2012
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

Dr. Rick :

That is an excellent question and it really won't make a difference what position you sit/stand/walk in at this point. For your type of procedure, positioning is not important.

Dr. Rick :

I am sure that the cryo treatment worked just fine but, yes, if needed it can be refrozen, treated with a laser or if necessary surgery can be done.

Dr. Rick :

I'm actually surprised that your doctor did not give you a handout about your cryo treatment....my nurse gives out one to all my patients. Oh well, no big deal.....you've got me :-)

Dr. Rick :

You don't need to worry about the cryo not working as it is very effective. You will not wake up with no vision in that eye. Just try to relax and anytime you have a question or concern just let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Dr. Rick :

Please remember the top 3 ratings are positives [Excellent service is my goal] and this is how we are compensated. Rate my answer when you are satisfied. If you feel the need to rate low, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Otherwise, a high positive rating is very much appreciated, bonuses are great, and find me anytime for follow up.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
I hope you got a good nights sleep ;)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Thank you so much for your answers, Dr Rick. This is such a wonderful service, and I'm really grateful you are there!
I certainly wish my doctor would give handouts, because it is very stressful not knowing what to expect. I haven't been able to sleep at night for four days now for fear of losing my eyesight and not being able to "catch" it when it happens. I had a TIA about 6 years ago, in that same eye, and obviously it happened after midnight, so I fell asleep not knowing if I would regain my eyesight in the morning (thankfully I did).
Questions:
If the cryo is very effective, why is it that I still feel some of the same things? Do you think it is possible a new tear developed? I am scared to death thatnI may need that buckle thing...I'm trying not to read about it because it scares me to death!
Is it ok to take supplements? Do you think the same vitamins used in the AREDS studies that seem to be beneficial in macular degeneration could be helpful for the retina? There is nobody in my family with history of retinal tears. I have no idea why I got that ( I have a tiny one in my other eye as well, but in the bottom quadrant). Is it possible that yoga exercises could promote this sort of thing? I have been practicing it once a week for 3 years, but I'm a beginner. I did notice a squiggly line, sort of like a cloud, that my doctor told me it was actually blood and not a floater, during my yoga class. That is what prompted me to see a doctor the next day, plus (and most definitely) the fact that I had seen the right arc at night, which was quite scary.
Thank you very much,
Regina
I do scleral buckle surgery every week and it, really, is nothing to be afraid of. It is very successful in treating many kinds of retinal detachments.

That being said cryo treatment to a peripheral retinal tear is very successful. I would not worry that this treatment will fail. Could a new, unrelated tear occur? Of course. But I am sure that your retina doc examined your entire retina and if she would have noticed any spots that seemed likely to tear she would have treated them at the same time.

The vitamins in the AREDS study were noted to be useful in dry age related macular degeneration. There is absolutely no proof that they would be helpful in your situation. Personally and professionally I would advise you NOT to waste your money on any "eye vitamins", including those from the AREDS study.

There are no data to show that exercise -- other then Golden Gloves boxing perhaps -- causes or predisposes to retinal tears or detachments. Go ahead and continue to enjoy your Yoga.

I am glad to hear that your doctor suggest you see an ophthalmologist promptly when you noticed the blood/floater in your eye. No that tear is taken care of and everything should be OK.

Regina, I know that this is pretty scary, especially given what you went through with your TIA but, from everything you have told me and everything we have discussed so far I truly believe you are getting excellent care and everything will be OK

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. It is a pleasure to assist you.
:-)
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD