Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I took travatan Z eye drops (for lash growth) for 8 months

and stopped 4 months ago...
I took travatan Z eye drops (for lash growth) for 8 months and stopped 4 months ago because of some alarming side effects. But some of my side effects are not going away. Two of my problems (that I believe Travatan Z caused) are dizziness and double vision. I'm scared I may have damaged my eyes. I tried Zvestra to help with the dizziness and that didn't help at all. I, of course have made an appointment with an optician. Am I off-base for thinking the drug could be the cause, and what can I do in the meantime?
7/1/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Doctor DanB : Travatan Z has not been known to cause dizziness in clinical trials, nor have unseen this reaction in any of my patients. As far as the double vision, does this go away if you cover either eye?
Customer:

no

Doctor DanB : So if you cover your left eye, you still have the double vision?
Doctor DanB : Are you still there?
Customer:

yes

Doctor DanB : So if you cover either eye the double vision is still there no matter what eye you cover?
Customer:

Yes.

Doctor DanB : Do you wear glasses or contacts for distance vision?
Customer:

Glasses for distance vision.

Doctor DanB : How old is the prescription?
Customer:

About four years old. I never had any problems with my sight (or eyeglass prescription) until I took the Travatan Z.

Doctor DanB : When the double vision is only present when only one, particular eye is open, then that means it is due to some impediment in the refractive (focusing) elements in the eye. Alternatively, if the double vision wasn't in any one eye, but only present when both eyes are open together then this would be much more serious and could indicate a problem in the brain or blood vessels which may need much more attention and worry.If the double vision is only on one particular eye, there are only a few things that can cause this double vision. One of these causes includes cataracts but can also be due to a clouding of the shell that holds your lens implants if you've had cataract surgery already. If this is the case this is easily diagnosed by your ophthalmologist and just as easily and safely taken care of in your eye doctor's office in a matter of a few, painless minutes. There can be problems with the cornea which are usually related to astigmatism that is uncorrected or incorrectly corrected, but this usually does not present in an abrupt nature. Sometimes there can be inflammation in the eye that can cause this, but usually there are other symptoms associated with this such as new floaters, redness, pain, and/or light sensitivity. Does that make sense?
Customer:

So, you're saying I may have a very serious problem with a brain or blood vessel disorder since the double vision is present in both eyes?

Doctor DanB : No, what I meant is that if the double vision were present ONLY when both eyes are open, then it might represent a serious problem possibly having to do with the blood vessels. Since this is not the case, I do not suspect the problem to be serious, but could represent some problems with the cornea, possible cataract formation or inflammation inside the eye, all of which should be evaluated for, it are not nearly as serious as a brain or blood vessel problem.
Customer:

So, in order for the double vision to be caused by brain or blood vessel problem, both eyes have to be open and not just one when I see double? And could the drug have caused the inflammation, and could the dizziness be a by-product?

Doctor DanB : Correct. And yes, the travatan could be causing inflammation and or problems in the cornea that could have caused some of this. However, it is more likely that the problem was caused by or exacerbated by the travatan but is a self-sustaining process now. I would recommend seeing our ophthalmologist to get a complete exam to determine if there are any cornea, cataract or intraocular inflammatory problems contributing to this problem. And absolutely, double vision can cause dizziness.
Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:
Doctor DanB : You're welcome. Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic? 
Doctor DanB : Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at any time you feel this process has been helpful, please rate your encounter with me by providing feedback; any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.     My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.  Thanks for your inquiry! 
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.