Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My one eyehas been half closed for several years It affects

Customer Question
my sight . What can...
My one eyehas been half closed for several years It affects my sight . What can I do ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Eye
6/9/2012
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Half closure of eye due to drooping of the upperlid is called ptosis.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The exact cause for it can be found out after the eye exam but is often senile ptosis( due to age related muscle weakness in the lid). The best way to treat it is by the way of lid surgery.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess it is better to consult an oculoplastic surgeon for this. An oculoplastic surgeon is an ophthalmologist with additional qualification for performing such lid surgeries.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can answer for you in this regard.

Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
I don`t have a drooping lid. My whole left eye has shruhk! It affects the focus of my sight all the treatment does`nt seem to make any difference I mean the suronding lids have shrunk. The sight in that eye is fine. ,
Hello Judy,

Since you had earlier mentioned half closure of the eye, it made me to think of ptosis . But now that you have clearly described that it is not drooping of the lid but kind of shrinking of the left eye, it could be either due to phthisis bulbi ( atrophic degeneration of the eye following long standing ocular inflammation in the past) or enophthalmos ( inward movement of the eye ( can occur following trauma to the eye in the past). The only way to be sure about the diagnosis is to get the eye thoroughly examined by an ophthalmologist. Recording the intraocular pressure would help to differentiate. If the eyeball is very soft to touch ( press fingers on the eye ball over closed eyelids) then it is more likely to be due to phthisis bulbi. But if the pressure seems to be fine ( eyeball is firm to touch) then it has to be due to other causes.

Thank you and best wishes.

the question is the same...nothing has helped!

Hello Judy,,

Thank you for the reply.

Did you get your eye examined by an ophthalmologist? What was the diagnosis made?
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist