Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Iam out of town right now and when to a care center in az.

Hello, Iam out of...
Hello, Iam out of town right now and when to a care center in az. my coverage does not cover out here. so money is a problem. the doctor at this center told me that I have virius pink eye. She gave me some tobrex antibotic. this was around friday of last week. I have faithfully taken the meds but am still having problems especially seeing. the antibotic is cream not drops. the pinkiness is gone but the eyes both still leak occassionally and the right eye has some crust mostly morning. I know that can run up to two weeks, but my medicine only last 7days . saturday will be my last day and I still do not feel better. needless to say going back to the doctor is not an option. can I take sunalasan for virtal con,? It is an over the counter medicine and hopefull help me until I get back home Tuesday. thank you
6/8/2012
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Doctor DanB : Hello and thanks for your question. Are you available to chat?
Customer:

yes

Customer:

yes I can speak with you , are you still there

Doctor DanB : Yes I'm here. Ate you better at all?
Customer:

hello ***** I am somewhat better but Iam experiencing alot of blurringness making it hard for me to see. for example I put the cream in around 7am and here it is 12pm and I still cannot see enough to even read.

Doctor DanB : I think the cream is likely contributing to your blurriness, even 5 hours later. The thing about pink eye is that it is caused by a virus, not a bacteria, so an antibiotic, which only works in bacteria is completely useless. While you may have improved somewhat while taking it there is no doubt, but that improvement would've come whether you were taking that or not. Does that make sense?
Doctor DanB : Since there is no medicine to make a viral conjunctivitis resolve, you are unfortunately left to wait it out until the virus leaves the system. This can take up to 1-2 weeks for the eyes to look and feel normal again. I tell my patients that once their eyes look and feel normal again, then they are good to resume prior activities. As far as symptom treatment, cool compresses, artificial tears (without redness relievers in them) and OTC pain relief (ibuprofen or tylenol) are the best to control symptoms while you wait out the virus to run its course, which can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks. Its difficult to be a hermit for that long, so when the eyes look and feel normal, it is reasonable to behave normally as far as infection precautions go.  If things are not getting better after 1 week, or if it does start to get very painful or light sensitive to where you couldn't function, or if it just stays in one eye and the discharge and redness become significantly worse, then I would recommend going to the doctor as you may need a prescription steroid to treat it. Does that make sense?
Customer:

I guess so . So you are saying that it will cure itself on its own

Doctor DanB : Almost always. If after a few more days it is still getting worse, though, then you need to see an ophthalmologist because you may need a steroid to treat the inflammation.
Doctor DanB : Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?
Customer:

no , but I thank you as I was getting really upset and worrying if I was doing something wrong. So as long as my eyes are clear , I can even go swimming again?

Doctor DanB : Yes, you can. Hope you get better soon. Good luck. Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers.  If at anytime you feel this process has been helpful, please press the ACCEPT button, if you see it.  This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.  Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.  Thanks for your inquiry!  My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.
Customer:

thank you again very very much and good bye.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.