Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I noticed that my husband's eyes were yellow as well as his

I noticed that my husband's eyes were yellow as well as his skin on May 23, 2012. He does not smoke, does not drink and is not a drug user at all. He is 55 yrs. old, we've been married for 32 yrs. during which time he has ''never" been sick with anything bad enough to be hospitalized for. He works from "can to can't" every day and only takes acetamenophine on occassion and blood presssure medication (Lisinopril) daily. He had been complaining of abdominal pain (not excruciating like a gallbladder attack) for two weeks but that had subsided for the most part when I noticed his yellow eyes and skin. I insisted that he see his internist the next day. I called for an appt. and was told that he needed to go to the ER which he did. In the ER he had blooodwork which showed bilirubin level of 9.2, extremely elevated liver enzymes, CT scan, EKG, Hepatitis panel (negative for hepatitis) and a gallbladder ultrasound which showed numerous stones and was sent to a clinical decision unit where he remained for three days. A GI doctor was called in as well as a surgeon to debate removal of the gallbladder. He had a HIDA scan (twice) which was not successful due to his liver not absorbing whatever it was supposed to absorb to allow the gallbladder to function properly or not which defeated the purpose of the test. He had a MRCP which showed no obstruction by stones in the biliary and pancreatic ducts. He was discharged after three days of observation, tests and bloodwork. I told his internist that I was afraid to take him home because by that time he was yellow/green. He told me that there was nothing that could be done for him in the hospital and that he should come into the office for bloodwork and see the GI doctor for follow-up on the liver issues. His bilirubin level was 2.8 on May 30th and he is going to have more bloodwork to check his bilirubin and liver enzymes today. He still feels tired and listless which is extremely uncommon for him! Any suggestions as to what specialty physician might be able to figure out what's going on in his body to have caused this to happen to an otherwise healthy man?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 5 years ago.
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I th ink the GI specialist is the right doctor to figure this out. There is no more specialized physician to deal with this particular problem than a gastrointestinal subspecialist. However, that doesn't mean that the particular GI specialist he's seen or that he will see will absolutely be able to figure out. Medicine, unfortunately, is many times an art and many disease states don't follow the textbooks. Many times in my practice I have had perplexing diseases that I cannot figure out the cause of no matter how many tests I've run, so I refer them on to someone else who may be able to. In your husband's case, if this GI specialist can't figure it out, don't give up. Try a second, third, or even fourth opinion, because his symptoms and presentation are definitely not normal. I'm sorry I can't be more help than that, but does that answer your question?

Doctor DanB :

Does this information help address your concerns?

Do you have any other concerns or questions about this topic?

It appears as though you are not in the chat room currently. I am happy to be able to help you today. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need. If you would like to ask further questions or clarification regarding anything I've said, please let me know and I will be happy to address your concerns.

Your feedback is important to me and will help me improve my encounter with future customers. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! If this has been helpful in addressing your concerns, please hit the ACCEPT button. This does not end our conversation, however-we can continue to discuss any of your concerns without further charges until you are satisfied.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer:

It helps to know that he is seeing the right doctor for his problem. We will see a different one though if he doesn't start getting much better. Thanks for your help.